XP and Comppaq

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by bmxjt, Jun 6, 2002.

1. bmxjt

bmxjt Guest

Anyone ever try and install XP on a Compaq?? I am trying to update Win 98 to XP. I cannot do a fresh install because there doesnt seem to be an option in the Compaq BioS to change the boot up to CD Rom drive. Heck, even a Win98 boot disk was ignored in the A: drive upon startup. Is it in the boot.ini file that I need to direct it to the A or D drive? And if so, how do I mofidy the .ini file?

thnx

J

2. Eve

Eve Guest

I have a Compaq 5BW120 and I upgraded from Win 98se to Win XP Pro no problem, there was an option in the BIOS to allow the CD drive to boot first, what type of compaq pc do you have, and is there and update for the BIOS? Maybe you could try contacting compaq and see what they have to say. Hope this helps.

Eve:p

3. bmxjt

bmxjt Guest

Its a Compaq Presario 5020

4. Eve

Eve Guest

try checking out the compaq website and typing in your serial number, it'll give you an idea or your BIOS version and then you can do a search for an updated version. Then hopefully you can change the boot order the cd drive first.

5. bmxjt

bmxjt Guest

i got it working. I wanted a fresh install to get rid of all the old junk. So, I first had to do an UPGRADE and THEN it gave me an option to boot from CD when it rebooted, then from there, I did a complete fresh install.