XFX 6600GT with 350W power supply?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by yogiB, Feb 16, 2005.

1. yogiB

yogiB OSNN One Post Wonder

I'm about to purchase an XFX 6600GT card. However, I'm a bit concerned with my 350W power supply. Will 350W be enough power to drive my system once the card is installed. Do they recommend more power?

My system:
    Processor: Intel 3.6Ghz
    Mobo: Intel D915GAV
    HDD: 120GB Maxtor
    Others: Plextor CD-RW, Pioneer DVD-Rom.

Please advise ASAP whether I should go for a larger power supply, say, 400-450W.

Thanks.

2. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Jack it. Read several forums out there, and some peeps having trouble with 300, 350 watt power supplies. I say go as high as your budget will. 450, 500.

3. yogiB

Thanks.

About how much ($) is a good 450W or 500W power supply in the U.S.?

4. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

5. yogiB

Thanks for the info.

6. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

NP Yogi, welcome to OSNN

7. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

fyi, i had a 350w psu, with my evga 6800, and pretty much the same setup as you and it ran fine. But why risk a crash, more power the better.

8. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

9. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

10. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Yogi, we do get paid for endorsing Newegg. People are happy when they get a good price and good service so they click the little scales on the left of our posts.

;)

11. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

I agree, LeeJend, Antec's are the best I've run into. I've been running a true430 for over a year. I have 2 optical drives, 2 HD's, and a Radeon 9800 pro. I also use various USB devices (as many as 3 at once) and this thing has never so much as hiccupped.

12. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

as a side option to all the Antec hub-bub. i'd recommend you also look into Ultra X-Connect modular power supplies. think you can pick up a 500w one now for like $70US. quite good power supplies too. removable power cables, so u only use ones that you need, and you dont wind up with a birds nest of wires somewhere in your case. People have said the wires are somewhat stiff.... but i think they've been improved since then. mine are just fine. easily able to get where they need to be. plus... they're shiny. :) here's a link to a review thread started by TittleBitties. has pics from both his case, and i posted mine (pic's not that good from mine though. took the pic with my cell phone). might try to rearrange my wires too to make it look a bit more neat. Overall they're nice power supplies. quite quiet too.

http://www.osnn.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53008

edit: correction.... you can get their limited edition green shiny power supply for $70. most of the other's i think cost around $100. when i got mine, they had a mail in rebate. Here's the TigerDirect page with the green one.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1028627&Sku=ULT31588

13. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

When I didn't see any of the critical spec's in the tiger add I went to the Ultra web site looking for the reliability, hold up time and efficiency numbers. There weren't any there either.

I would not connect an Ultra to my PC with a 10 foot insulated pole.

Click the link at the bottom of the tiger add and read up on what to look for in power supply spec's. A lot of what they talk about isn't even listed for Ultra brand. That's a clear signal to stay away. If it's not listed the company is ashamed of it.

PS Enermax is good too but last I checked Antec was cheaper.

14. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

i couldn't find the link you were talking about in the tiger direct ad. what info are you looking for exactly? maybe i could find it for ya?

15. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

i have to say though that the x-connect is very purty... ")

16. David_L6

David_L6 OSNN Addict

You do? How much?