Wwdc 2007

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by Geffy, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

Today at 10am PDT (5pm GMT, 6pm BST)

As usual hit up MacRumors Live for the play by play text version else you gotta wait if you want to watch it ;)

2. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Someone is streaming the Keynote speech live! I don't remember who, but it was on digg.

3. X-Istence

Sooo many exciting new features that I am looking for. Stacks is pretty cool!

Now, Safari for Windows. Interesting!!!

4. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Leopard is going to be unbelievable!

5. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

6. X-Istence

Safari for windows is impressive! Using it inside VMWare and it is absolutely impressive.

7. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Just waiting for the Leopard build to become... available now. :p

Also stacks is years old, I couldn't believe it when I saw it announced, I'm pretty sure it was a feature pencilled for 10.3, and originally named "Piles" :eek:

Edit:From 2000...
    Not exactly the same application, but a very similar concept. :)

8. Geffy

Think stacks is a better name though. I mean come on, who wants piles?

9. SPeedY_B

The people who make anusol want you to have piles. :p :D

10. Geffy

haha

Watched the keynote earlier in the slightly wee-er hours of the morning. I have to say the whole iPhone Apps thing seems pretty poor. I'd have to agree with John Gruber that if doing apps this way was so cool, so easy and so just perfect then why arent Apple doing their apps this way?

Had they said that then it might have been better, but the prospect of having to be connected to GPRS, EDGE or some hapless Wifi point just to use some "app" is stupid, and highly costly. While you could argue that at the price of the iPhone people should have enough pocket change to throw at those GPRS/EDGE costs thats a pretty big assumption that they will want to.

This summarises it best
    edit
    Just read an entry over at the salon.com, heres a piece of it with good points and one silly one

Have to agree that no matter what Apple have provided to the "iPhone Web Apps" through Safari the likelihood of them getting access to graphics, network and most certainly storage capacities is going to be fairly low I'd say. Network maybe, but the others are less likely.

Skype is an amazing application and while AT&T will get less of their moneys worth through its use (save on data charges) I don't think Apple should be preventing it from being installed on an iPhone.

As far as jukebox apps for the iPhone, I've not seen better ones than iTunes on the Mac yet so I certainly wouldn't care or bother with an alternative for the iPhone, Photo editing would be quite cool but again doing this with your fingers would just be messy and Firefox on an iPhone, hahahahahahaha, its bad enough on the Mac without slapping it on something with less resources, not to mention you can't get Firefox for Windows Mobile either, though some would argue that at least the potential is there.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  11. SPeedY_B

I suppose MiniMo is the closest thing to Fx on a mobile device.

I couldn't agree more that the so called "web apps" is a bit stupid, should I ever get my hands on an iPhone, there's no way I'll ever be using it to connect via GPRS, due to the (presently, at least) ridiculous amount it costs in the UK, so I'd always need to be in reach of an open WiFi spot.

I can see they want to protect their device, much as they tried with the AppleTV, however, surely handing out an SDK to certain folk, such as Skype for example, with the threat of eating their pets should it ever be leaked, must be a better solution.

I don't doubt at some point down the line that there will be hacked apps on the iPhone and maybe even a third party development environment, again, like the AppleTV.

12. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Watched it to check out the id software demo and kept watching it a little.
    Thought it was quite funny when he showed the Leopard desktop for the first time and you could hear people laughing because they obviously thought it was a pisstake as it looked like Vista...

Anyway, never really used a Mac but nice to seeoptimisations non-the-less

13. SPeedY_B

I wasn't overly impressed with the Id demo. I was more impressed back when Doom 3 was originally demonstrated on a G3, in it's first ever public outing, however, this "new" tech, seems to be more of the same, with just a few more textures and polygons thrown in to the mix for good measure.

14. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

did anyone catch the news that EA is bringing games over to OSX as well?
    Managed to catch this on digg what they won't be native ports to OSX but running under Cider which is an emulation layer of sorts..

15. Geffy

Interesting, I'd kind of hope that would be a perhaps initial system for getting a game onto the Mac but with later development spent on writing cross platform game code with OS specific modules. Any kind of emulator kind of thing is going to hurt performance.

16. SPeedY_B

17. Geffy

I am tempted to get a 360 for the Little Gamers: The Game :p

18. SPeedY_B

I didn't know it was going to be on the 360? Thought it was a PC/Mac deal?

19. Geffy

Its being written in XNA so it will be Win + 360. The Dev changed it a couple months back. Check the vids on YouTube.

Not going to be any Mac version, but hey maybe he can use cider :p

20. SPeedY_B

You do know that XNA games can only be played by XNA subscribers? ($99/year)

Looks like it's the Win/Cider route :p