WTF, this an odd bit torrent claim

Son Goku

No lover of dogma
When I went to grab the lattest SG1, right on the first page, I saw this little flame war start out. I'm not sure about providing a link here, as the page includes a link to the download, albeit that's not what I'm posting about.

Some people's gripe seems to be that Americans should download something that has aired on TV in the US. From there, they're proceeding to blame Americans for making their Internet slow :laugh:

Through a myriad of complaints, is also critisism that people should downlad (a TV show here, mind you) as if that's bad (and yet what are they doing at a torrent site). However recording it on the VCR is good :p Well I'm grabbing the torrent, but

/mouth drops

If someone is wondering the page, just go to torrent spy, and search for Stargate. It's the lattest SG1, aka season 9, episode 11. The link is at the top now.

Why do Americans have to download this immediately?
Jozxyqk on Friday, January 6 2006 7:34:56 PM

I just don't see the point. It doesn't make sense whatsoever.
YOU HAVE JUST SEEN IT! You don't have to download it RIGHT NOW! If you want to watch it again, you should've taped it yourself. It's much easier.
Now, why don't you stop being so selfish and let those of us who are NOT from America (Australia, UK, Germany etc) download it now so that we can watch it, huh?
Thank you.

RE: Why do Americans have to download this immediately?
chupacabra2 on Friday, January 6 2006 7:47:04 PM

Not everyone in America has seen it. I don't get the Sci Fi channel. Besides, does it really hurt you if there's another person downloading who will soon be another seeder? I thought that the way Bit Torrent works, it's best to have many people working a file.

No Subject
Amalthia on Friday, January 6 2006 7:47:13 PM

Hey I'm American and I don't have cable tv, so I have to download if I'm going to watch the show. Besides what you should be complaining about is the people who aren't sharing back. Not the location of the downloaders.

OK, end of story? Not quite...

No Subject
BRYAN_B28 on Friday, January 6 2006 8:21:53 PM

Yes me american , yes i did tape it onme vcr , and now im DL'ing it so I can archive it on vcd - then when i get 4 or 5 eps archived to vcd - then I'll transfer em onto a dvd !!

Yes this may be ignorant , but vcr tapes ware out in time - for instance I taped some season 1-2 eps back when they originally aired . Now i cant even watch the tapes cause theyve wore out so bad , the audio is **** etc.

an why u complain about us amercian ? the more people whom DL the faster speeds everyone around the world gets!

this is BIT TORRENT WORKS,
makes it better for everyone!!

Yes I may be a lil extreme , cause i'll even buy em when there released onto mainstream dvd,

hell I might even buy BSg on Itunes in the morning , who knows

BTW , why dont u guys just go to Itunes an buy em legal for 99 cents an episode>>

Nahh Im just bust'n balls

It continues, and gets more heated, with language (in some cases) I don't think I'll repeat. LOL, this is the first time I've seen, practically on the first page complaints begin about what country the downloader happens to reside in. Discussion latter turns into complaints about how his downloads are slower then the swarm's average, and complaints that Americans are at fault for making his Internet slow...

if it took up bandwidth I'd agree with the complaint, but it actually helps bandwidth so the complaint is a little obsurd

Yeah, another complaint, which was supposedly also the fault of American downloaders was that there were only 200 seeders and many downloaders at a time before the site I pulled it from had not yet listed it. I guess he pulled it from mininova. Anyhow, the gist was "how dare you Americans download it, and not give it to me, faster and at this moment".

Now that the torrent is more well established (it was first uploaded last night), it's got like 2,207 seeders. Well I'm sorry, but it just takes time for some people to get it, so they could turn around and distribute it further, on a tracker that from the complaintant's own description was too new to have been picked up by all the torrent search sites as of then...

Last edited:
perris said:
if it took up bandwidth I'd agree with the complaint, but it actually helps bandwidth so the complaint is a little obsurd

Lol I was thinking the same thing. The whole fight is based on a false premise, which makes it really silly.

You know I don't even watch TV, so does this make me immune? Or as I COULD record it to my PC am I at fault for not recording it to share? Would me recording it make the internet slower as the cable we have that I don't watch is digital? EEEK!!

Lol, this is about as absurd as when this one person was chastizing and totally berated someone for having a gig of RAM in their win2k box several years ago. The claim was the person was a nut, because the RAM would degrade from not being used, cause "who needs that much memory anyhow".

wtf? :laugh: I told a friend of mine who had recently graduated as a comp engineer, as well as showed him a copy of the rant, and he was like "yeah, the Internet is full of fools such as this. The memory will degrade and go bad, because who could ever use a gig of RAM LOL"

BTW, when I came home latter in the day and disconnected (with a share ratio of 2.61 mind you), the torrent had over 3,000 seeders by then. It wasn't lacking seeders because greedy and selfish Americans were downloading the file and were making a personal decision to refuse to share it with him. It had far fewer seeders, as, well when I grabbed the file it was about 6 or 7 hours after the show was first on TV. He obviously connected to it much closer to the time it actually aired, and so hadn't had much time for seeding to get underway by then...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back