Would 4 gigs be worth it?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Heeter, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi All,

This question is for my neighbor. He is asking if it is worth the upgrade from 2 1 gig sticks of RAM to 4x1gig sticks of RAM. He is a major, major gamer.

This is for his Vista Ulitmate 64bit machine (4400+x2AMD)

On a side note, I gave him one of my 36gig raptors to use in that machine as his primary HD. I haven't used them in sooo long, they are just sitting up on a shelf. WOW, I forgot how loud that thing was, and now with vista, that HD is always spinning continuously. Sounds like metal to pavement grinding contact. I LUVZ IT!!!!

Heeter

2. Petros

Petros Thief IV

If he's a major gamer, 2GB of ram isn't his bottleneck; it's that processor. The only game that even pushes the 2GB I have on my machine is Crysis, which goes up to 1.2GB usage.

3. Heeter

Awesome thanks for the info.

He has that sidebar cpu/ram meter going on his machine and it is always at 50% RAM usage, so he was thinking of lowering it by purchasing more ram.

Thanks again,

Heeter

4. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

no point in 4gb unless hes going to use 64bit as winxp/vista 32bit can only see up to 3.25gb

5. Heeter

Carpo,

did ya read my original post:

:):)

Heeter

6. Dark Atheist

guess i missed that :p - far too much on here, plus when you click new it takes you to the newest msg in the thread :p so no i never seen it :D

7. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Oh wow. I'm not familiar with vista too much and didn't realize that. Right now, with just my usual stuff open and Firefox eating ~90 MB, I'm at 712. I guess with Vista or Vista 64 it could easily bump up another 250MB or so.

If his default programs are using that much memory, it would be useful if playing Crysis or games on the horizon (Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect)

Heeter likes this.
  8. Heeter

Awesome, thanks again, Petros.

Will let him know then. Yeah his RAM is at 50% all the time, but his cpu idles along at 4-10%.

I am pretty sure he wants to get more ram anyways, I think it is a chest-thumping, look at me thing for him.

Heeter

9. Dark Atheist

the ram is high as it is always being cached, windows vista does what Linux does and throws everything it thinks you may need/want into mem as its faster to load, my ram is always up around the 40-50% range, he could always turn off superfetch and the mem would drop back down, and it would manage the mem like XP does, but on vista im not sure if that's advised

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  10. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

What graphics card do you have? If it's NVIDIA, just be careful of this little babe! It might be worth getting 2 x 2GB - I wish I had!

11. Dark Atheist

well i have 4x1gb in here and its running fine - did you install sp1 standalone or sp1 dvd ?