Workgroup computer asking for a username??

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Heeter, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hey Guys,

I am trying to access the shared files on another workgroup computer from this one. When I click on that computer icon (In "View WorkgroupComputers"), it asks me for a username and password. I never remember giving it a username and password. How can I defeat this password asking. This password asking does not happen when I am on another computer of the same workgroup. Also, how can I pin to the start menu, a shortcut that will open the list of workgroup computers and their list of shared files? Thanks in advance....

Heeter

2. kohlerjd

kohlerjd Guest

Does the other computer that you can't access have XP Pro on it. I ran into that same problem today and I fixed it by going into the Control Panel/Users area and making a user access for each computer that I was going to want to log in from. I also had to assign a password to each one. You can then use Tweakui to keep those user profiles from showing up on the welcome screen. Hope that helps.

Jeff

3. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

if you are on XP Home and part of a domain, dispite MS saying you cant access domain resources you can. Or some of them at least.
    If you enter DOMAIN/username for the username it seems to do it right.

If I have just told you something useless :p

I am assuming that this used to work fine. I will dig around to see if you can setup your current users so they can access the other computer

4. Heeter

The 'puter that I am on is XPHome, the 'puter that I am try to access is 2003Server,

Geffy, it is actually on a wrokgroup, not a domain. I think I will try "Administrator" and see what happens, that is what logon as with 2003Server, no password

I really would like to disable this, though

Heeter

5. Heeter

KohlerJD,

So when the Username Password window pops up, You logon with that assigned Username, do you then have access to the whole'puter or just the shared files? Maybe I should create a user account for 2003Server instead of just using the Administrator account.

Heeter

6. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

hrmm I havent messed with 2k3 server, JJB might have I will see if he can get his arse on here

7. Heeter

LOL, Thanks Bud.

I think that Kohler might be right on this one. Logging in to Administrator might be quite a task as compared to logging into a user. But I think I will try to get answers before screwing around with the setup.

Heeter

8. kohlerjd

kohlerjd Guest

Heeter,
    Besides making an password protected user you also need to share all your drives like before. After that you should have complete access as long as that is what you give yourself. If you have anymore questions let me know.
    Jeff