.wmv problems

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by macromp, Nov 15, 2006.

1. macromp

macromp the retarded one

i dont know why but suddenly i cant play .wmv files without my computer crashing. sometimes i can play one for a while but i get the weird green squares all over the video like it's the wrong codec and eventually the top half of my screen will freeze, along with the rest shortly after. random clicking around with the mouse and i get a beep from the mobo, and then it's dead...restart required. i've installed the latest media player 11, reinstalled the old one, tried codec packs, latest video card drivers etc but nothing seems to work. and i havent a clue why

2. vertigo

vertigo OSNN Senior Addict

does this happen only with wmv files? high definition wmv?

sounds more like a graphics card problem than codec

3. macromp

macromp the retarded one

any wmv files, graphics card is x1600 pro, latest drivers installed.

4. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Use DriverCleaner to wipe your drivers properly, and reinstall them. Follow the DriverCleaner instructions to the T.

You may want to reinstall your codecs afterwards, though I don't think it's neccessary.

5. vertigo

vertigo OSNN Senior Addict

probably a driver issue, downgrade them. but to be sure, try disabling wmv hardware acceleration in catalyst config

6. macromp

macromp the retarded one

ok i've used drivercleaner (which i did before) but i've turned wmv acceleration off, i'll give it a try.