WMP 9 changes files?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by adamg, Feb 13, 2003.

1. adamg

adamg Guest

I have an archive of mp3s stored in a zip file. In winzip i double click the mp3 and it extracts it and plays it in WMP 9. When i close WMP winzip asks "the contents of [mp3 file] have changed. would you like to update the file in the archive?"

What is WMP 9 trying to do to my files? Hope its nothing evil :)

2. Jahya

Jahya Guest

it's not wmp, this happens anytime you use a file directly from a zip and then put it back.

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

It doesn't, the file has to be modified for this to happen.
    I just tried it with an mp3 and Winamp, and i received no message, so WMP must be doing something to the file :confused:

4. Jahya

Jahya Guest

I don't run apps/mp3s directly from zips often, but I always get that message when I do (*shrug*) I thought it was pretty standard. Anyway, there is an option in wmp9 to update your files w/ media info when played, this may be the cause.

5. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

there are no real benefits to compressing your mp3s you gain about 1mb for 100 files as they are already hevily compressed

6. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

i think wmp is changing something in the id tags. WMp resolves the correct info from the internet and changes the id tags.

7. Conger

Conger Guest

You are correct. WMP9 very kindly does update your files.

Check the Options - Media Updates. Look at the lower box titled "Automatic Media Updates ...". Set to Enabled by Microsoft. God bless them.

What do you expect when you use WMP9? Evil, evil, evil. Use QCD if you want a decent music media player.

8. JtR

JtR Guest

oh yeah...updating your id tags is sooooo evil :rolleyes:

9. adamg

adamg Guest

Well i turned off all those features like updating id tags and stuff, and it still happens.

Also, i only zip mp3 cause it makes it into one file instead of a folder.