Wireless network

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by brocher, Jun 9, 2006.

1. brocher

brocher Moderator

I have two laptops that i want to network with wireless. I am having problems with this. I have used the wizard and transfered the data using the USB stick and cannot get them to find each other . I am trying to connect the pc's directly with no router and no internet connection. Can anyone help with this problem.

2. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I am pretty sure this cannot be done... think a router will be required... or a cross over cable....

You see in terms of wi-fi what you have on your hands there are two RECEIVERS and with all the technical know how in the world neither can see the other because nothing is transmitting - or at least not at the level required.

I could be slightly wrong in absolute terms and theoretically at close range maybe this could be forced to work - but so far as I am aware it is not designed to work this way.

If anyone knows better please correct me.

3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Not possible. The only way to do it without a Router is through your Infrared ports, but that isn't even worth it as the tasks you would be able to perform are sub-par at best.

If you want Wifi- get a router.

4. Brad

Brad Moderator Political User Folding Team

not even in Ad-hoc mode?