Wireless network card spec

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FrenzyD, Mar 7, 2006.

1. FrenzyD

FrenzyD OSNN Junior Addict

I talked to University this morning, they recommend me to get either below Wireless network card (for laptop):

a) D Link DWL-G650
    b) Netgear WG511

What the different between both(e.g preformance, easy to setup, Pro and cons)? Not think of brand and price.

What other Wireless network card will you recommend?

By the way I am using P3 Laptop - compaq presario 1600-XL 147

2. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

The best option is an integrated card, nothing to tote around but since you don't have one it isn't an option.

My friend had a 802.11B Linksys card while we were in college and this thing got excelent range while my integrated didn't get much (upgraded to a Intel 2200BG card and it fixed the range).

3. FrenzyD

FrenzyD OSNN Junior Addict

thats doesnt answer the question

4. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I was commenting on the range of a Linksys card, so technically I was answering

5. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

While it's not exclusive, if your school is recommending certain hardware to be used on their network, that may be a good suggestion to follow. Since they support and maintain it, they may have reasons to suggest these model types. Also, you may be able to get support from them, vs the manufacturer, if you choose these models. That is only a theory, might not be actual.

In regards to the cards themselves, setup(s) are generally standard. You pop in the card in your PCMCIA slot, insert driver CD and bam, most of it is automatic. The instructions for joining and logging onto the wireless network will be supplied by your school, as the configuration is unique based on the security keys you need, if any.

Lastly, of the two cards, I would go with the D-LINK DWL-G650. The card is only about 8-10 bucks more, and you can "potentially" get double the speed. The DLINK card can get speeds UP TO 108Mbps, while the Netgear can only achieve UP TO 54Mbps. The reason why I say up to is because those are maximum speeds, and often are not achieved because of interference and signal strenght issues.

But for 8 bucks, and the potential to double your speed, go with the D-LINK :)

6. Vanquished

Vanquished Mr. Bananagrabber Political User

You probably already purchased the card but...
    I was thinking you might not want to buy the card from your school as it is probably over priced...
    Also you dont need to get those two models.. Im sure your school made a deal with them...
    However, i think that those two companies are the best out there for the money.