Wireless Drivers

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by retread, Jul 4, 2006.

1. retread

retread OSNN Junior Addict

Looking for drivers for a Dlink DWL-g122 Ver. A2 USB wireless adapter which will work in Vista, build 5456. The drivers from ms will not work on my computer. Willing to purchase any wireless adapter which works. If anyone has a wireless adapter working with vista please advise me. Please include the driver you are using and its source. Ethernet works, but it is a hassle to string cable across the house to the wireless router. The computer is a desktop (Athlon 64 3400+, 1.5GB Ram, ATI All in Wonder 2006 video card and a Gigabyte K8N mb) so pci or usb adapters will work. Thanks for your assistance.

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

3. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Retread,

I have a Hawking wireless PCI card working with Vista. It does have a weird issue that I detailed in another thread, but after a few mouse clicks, it works fine. Using an XP driver.

4. retread

Thanks for the responses. Dumped the dlink and purchased a linksys wmp54g wireless adapter. Vista went the ms update site and downloaded a driver which does not work. It comes up with an IP of 169.xxx.x.x when the ip should be 192.168.x.xxx. The dlink did the same thing after downloading from ms. Assigned a static ip, but still did not work. I then installed the second driver from the linksys cd and it installed, but again incorrect ip. Where can I find a Hawking adapter? Any other ideas, please.

5. dreamliner77

Just a thought, have you disabled IPv6?

6. retread

Thanks dreamliner77. Disabled ipv6 before the post, no joy.

7. retread

dreamliner77: Found where to purchase the hawking pci wireless adapter. Searched for the thread on how you made it work in vista. Cannot find the thread. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks

8. dreamliner77

XP drivers worked fine for me.

9. retread

dreamliner77: Was able to make the linksys wmp54g wireless adapter work with the drivers from ms by disabling encryption. Uphappy about not using encryption. Ordered the hawing tech. card. Are you able to use encryption along with the xp drivers? Thanks

10. retread

The linksys WMP54G pci wireless adapter is now working with Vista Beta 2, build 5456. Using the drivers from MS Vista update. Was using WEP. Turned off WEP and the adapter worked. Now using WPA2-PSK with AES for data encryption.