wireless and hardline networking help

jsino10

OSNN One Post Wonder
I have a router in my basement coming into a second wireless router then into my desktop computer. I then have a laptop that uses the wireless router.

I need to know how to network the desktop into my laptop for file sharing.
I am just a learning computers and am wondering how i would netowrk these to computers. I have tired to use the wizards in XP and am not getting anywhere.

The more directions the better :)
THANKS

first of all you should probably use just the wireless router instead of having 2 routers, that will make things less complicated. Then make sure all the computers can access the internet.

once you do all that all you have to do is go to the computer that you want to share the folder to and then RIGHT click on the folder you want to share, then go to PROPERTIES, then the SHARE tabe, then click allow sharing, then from the same computer go to the START MENU-RUN- then type "cmd" without the quotes, then at the command prompt type "ipconfig" it will give you some numbers, just look for the one that says IP ADDRESS (it should start with 10 or 192 normally followed by other numbers) once you get that number right it down.

Now go to a different computer on the network and go to START-RUN- and then type "//x.x.x.x" supstitue x for the i[ number you wrote down.

example would be typing the following in RUN:

//192.168.0.2

after doing that you should see a window pop up with the folder you shared. Its that easy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back