wired XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by micropitt, Jun 7, 2002.

1. micropitt

micropitt Guest

Hi all,
    i have a problem with XP Pro in a network. The network has one NT4 server and 15 workstations, 12 of them with Win98 and 3 with XP Pro. With the XP Pro workstation i can browse the Internet but i can not receive any e-mails. I also can not ping anything behind the server. I tryed different things in the setup from DNS to Gateway but nothing worked. At normal the workstation are getting everything from the NT4 server per DHCP and WINS. I would be thankful for any hint.
  2. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

West Lafayette, IN, USA
    Try manually assigning IPs and info, rather then letting SHCP do it. Assign it a free address and see if it works then

3. micropitt

micropitt Guest

I will try it tommorow. Thank you...
  4. micropitt

micropitt Guest

The idea was good but it didn't work. However, i found out that on the NT4 Server is a Proxy Server running. The Win98 Workstations don't have a problem with that, only the 3 XP Pro Workstation. Like i said, browsing the Internet is no problem with the XP Pro. I just can not connect to the ISP's mailserver with Outlook. Is there any work arround? Do i have to change some settings on the NT4 Proxy Server?
    Thank you
  5. open_source

open_source Guest

Double check your pop and smtp servers in Outlook.
  6. micropitt

micropitt Guest

I don't think that i have mis-typed the mail servers on all 3 XP Pro workstation :)
    But I doublechecked all entrys and everything is correct. I believe that the problem is somewhere in XP Pro.