WinXP users drive & partition access rights

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by viky1181, Mar 1, 2005.

1. viky1181

viky1181 OSNN One Post Wonder

is it possible to restrict drive or folders access rights to different winxp users logging into the system. can i restrict them from deleting or modifying any files in a specific drive or folder.

2. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

depends...what file system are you using? Fat or NTFS?

also you will need to setup user accounts to prevent users accessing a specific foler.

if you dont have a user accounts or dont want to create them you may not be able to do this unless

you get a third party sofware that could possibly password a certain folder....

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Lockdown/Folder-Guard-XP-Edition.shtml

3. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

oh and another thing you can do is make the folder hidden. not to secure but can be useful

4. viky1181

i have ntfs file system on the partition where xp is installed and user accounts r installed. but any user can access all my drives and partitions. how can i restrict it? is it possible without any third party software

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

XP Home or Professional??

6. viky1181

ok i finally got it. winxp ntfs partition has a security feature to assign rights to a partition or folder.

7. xtweaker

xtweaker Tweaking Monkey

Ya you just need to disable "Simple File Sharing" to se ethe advances security settings. You can get that option in the Folder Options control panel.

Just a hint, if you ever lock yourself out, you can get back access by changing the Ownership back to yourself.

Attached Files:

• shot.gif
      shot.gif
      File size:
      10.6 KB
      Views: