WinXP+98 Dual Boot Issue!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by m3rlin, Jun 2, 2002.

1. m3rlin

m3rlin Guest

Hi..

I just got a new hdd, and made one partition c: for windows 98, and then another one, d: for XP Pro. I installed 98 on c:, and installed XP on d:, and the dual boot menu comes up and lets me choose between xp or 98.

However, when I select XP, 3 out of every 4 times it will go to the loading screen (with the blue status bar thingy) and then the screen will just go black and stay black.

If I load up win 98 it's got no probs and works fine.

If anyone can help me with this problem please do as it is REALLY ANNOYING!!:p

Thanks,

m3rlin

2. Pin

Pin Guest

So, have u tried re-install the XP?

since they are on the different partition, u should try a clean install on D: then see if it works.

I am using dual boot on Win2k and WinXP.

My specs:
    CPU: XP1800+ mobo: Asus A7V333
    HSF: GlobalWin TAK68 Dual fan
    RAM: Kingston 256MB DDR333
    HDD: Maxtor 40GB
    AGP: Asus GF3Ti200 pure.

3. MrLip

MrLip Guest

Could you tell me how you made your partitions? (what program, what configuration)

I'm trying to do the same thing (win98 & winxp dual-boot) but my winxp installer doesn't see my hard disks properly.

4. Pin

Pin Guest

i used FDISK from Windows95 startup disk (98 or ME also can).
    This utility allows me to assign the partitions easily on a new harddisk.

if u already have OS on ur haddisk, i recommend using PowerQuest's PartitionMagic. It allows u to create partitions out of your current harddisk.

I used PMagic ver.6 before...using it to re-adjust my disk spacing...never tried creating a partition, but it has the feature.

my configuration is
    C: WinXP 5GB
    D: Win2k 5GB
    E: Library 30GB
    all in one 40GB harddisk...but windows detects 37.28GB only. It happens...

Let me know if u need helps.