Windowx XP not bootable anymore

Eiji

OSNN Addict
I was going to repair a WinXP install on one of my PCs using the WinXP disc ie booting from it (not under a windows environment) but it seems like the boot process completely ignores it.

The disc is fine too, used it to install XP many times without using floppy discs to initiate the install.

I did recently change the DVD-ROM drive and the Writer in the PC but haven't changed anything else apart from making sure the DVD-ROM drive is set as a boot device after legacy floppy. I also tried booting from the writer too but it was a no go.

The optical hardware is relatively new and the motherboard is a fairly old ASUS A7V333.

Are these new optical drives incompatible with the motherboards "boot from cd-rom" feature?

I had a similar problem once, where a friend had a HDD on his primary IDE and had put a new Writer on his Secondary IDE. We couldn't seem to boot off of CD, turned out that when he had bought the Writer the jumpers had been set On Cable Select and that's how he put it in, I changed the jumper to Master, and all was good.

That's about the only thing I can suggest off the top of my head, Take a look at your jumpers and if possible set your drives as either master or slave, I find Cable Select usually causes problems.

Well, the jumpers are set fine. None of them are set as cable select.

The boot order in the bios is as follows: Legacy Floppy, IDE Device, Removable Device, Network.

I tried with Legacy Floppy disabled too and the bootup completely ignores the WinXP disc in either drive (Master: NEC 2500 DVD Writer | Slave: Liteon SOHD-167T).

The bios I am using is the same as I what I used to use with the previous setup and there is currently no newer bios either.

Eiji said:
The boot order in the bios is as follows: Legacy Floppy, IDE Device, Removable Device, Network.
These are the only options? Perhaps try puting "removable device" before IDE and see what happens.

Xie said:
These are the only options? Perhaps try puting "removable device" before IDE and see what happens.

The boot order can't be shuffled, only a device can be selected or the option disabled.

Eiji said:
The boot order can't be shuffled, only a device can be selected or the option disabled.
Sounds like an odd bios.

Doh!

You can change the boot sequence with the + and - keys.

I will try it later and post back the result.

Works great now!

I set the ATAPI CD-ROM to boot before IDE.

Thanks guys :)

Eiji said:
Doh!

You can change the boot sequence with the + and - keys.

I will try it later and post back the result.
hehe
Eiji said:
Works great now!

I set the ATAPI CD-ROM to boot before IDE.

Thanks guys :)
Glad you got it fixed. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back