Windows XP SP3 Preview, IE7, MP 10/11 more

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by kcnychief, Jul 29, 2005.

1. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Found this while surfing, site is not official, but apparently will be updated frequently and seems rather interesting...

http://www.xp-sp3.com/sp3/

2. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

Interesting i admit, but i dont usually get too excited about service packs until they actually appear on microsoft.com :)

IE7 is an almost certainty however.

3. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I was interested until I saw how much there was to read there! :eek: :p

4. kcnychief

Indeed, is alot of info. But keep in mind that Service Packs are HUGE rollups of files. It has to be able to include SP1, SP2 and SP3, so that you can have a bareboned XP Installation pre-SP1 and be up to date after a single roll-up pack. Hence the huge "laundry-list".

I agree on the IE7 front. The beta now, and when it's final will only work on SP2 and beyond.

5. sean.ferguson

Im using the beta right now on an XP Home SP2 system and to be quite honest it appears to be very stable. I have had no issues so far, it looks like to me just IE6 with a couple of tweaks and a beta UI. Saying that though I do understand its more than that :p

edit In fact I have had one issue, trillian crashes now and wont start. Only since the beta install so no doubt we will see a trillian update in the not to distant future.

6. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

NetRyder has posted in the Vista thread that Trillian does indeed crash with IE7. He made a suggestion there that might take care of it.

7. kcnychief

I also run IE7 on my XP SP2 Pro Machine, and had the Trillian problem. In the IE7 post, NetRyder suggests it's something to do with the MSN Plugin. I hope there is a new RC for Trillian, but for now since I can't lose MSN functionality, I have swithced to GAIM, which is free :)

8. sean.ferguson

I have found myself using gAIM for now also (just until trillian updates though).

9. kcnychief

I concur, GAIM is no Trillian. However since I have full-blown Vista on another machine, I may un-install IE7 so I can have Trillian back, I miss it :cry:

10. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

What's ridiculous about that msn plugin in ie7 is I'm already signed in. When I click on the green guy ... guess what.

yes, IE7 opens up another instance of MSN

Silly.
    (but otherwise, I'm having fun with it... nice tabs, icons finally... )

11. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

I don't trust it.

The first three downloads are link to what seems to be Microsoft but when the page loads on the lower bottom of my browser (firefox) on the status bar it says "transfering data from c.microsoft.com". Plus they are linked to a diferent directory (kb directory) than the other updates. Maybe because they are new and have not been added to the actual update directory or...

Also if you go directly to Microsoft by actually typing in it's URL it does not show this c.microsoft when the pages are loading. And this c.microsoft is a virtual directory. Yeah I know, many sites including Microsoft have them. I don't know, I just don't feel it.

But if these are legit update file names then you can just copy the names into Microsoft's search thing on thier site and find it there.

What can I say. I'm an untrusting soul. :D

Then again this site could have been put up by someone at Microsoft. I don't know.

12. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

They will probably release this after the os is out .. By which point it will be useless .. I hope they release it before hand though .. I didnt' even know they were working on a Media Player 11 ...

13. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Freshly registered on 26-July - name holder isn't hiding anything, based out of Washington State.

Your hunch on Microsoft may be right.

14. kcnychief

15. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

16. kcnychief