Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

well.... EP you did say (somewhere) that there were ten days coming up over the festive season?

BTW do you have any knowledge if it allows dual booting? My guess is no and that you have to wipe your existing format - I am almost certain I'll hit problems with my SATA setup - I am assuming they will need 64 bit drivers? Might try it someday if, like you, I have the free time.... I burnt the CD anyway so if I have the time I am good to go...

I have plans for those days and if you place it in the context of that conversation you should be able to guess what I will be doing, but won't be giving hints.

Will just be springing it on people either in December, January of February (hehe, no eta :p)

Eek, wasn't paying attention, but checked ms beta and it looks like I am supposed to be a tester... oops :D

Mainframeguy said:
well.... EP you did say (somewhere) that there were ten days coming up over the festive season?

BTW do you have any knowledge if it allows dual booting? My guess is no and that you have to wipe your existing format - I am almost certain I'll hit problems with my SATA setup - I am assuming they will need 64 bit drivers? Might try it someday if, like you, I have the free time.... I burnt the CD anyway so if I have the time I am good to go...
yea you can manually do the dual boot, just go to system properties>advanced>startup and recovery settings and do it from there you can select where the first os is and where the 2nd is kinda like booting between 98 and xp

Take note that the 64-bit windows won't support certain applications or whatever that some people may use very often.

ming said:
Take note that the 64-bit windows won't support certain applications or whatever that some people may use very often.
well that's what i've been saying the whole time but they said it's backward compatible, even though it's backward compatible the operating system works at 64-bit, and the application is at 32-bit, mabye wowexec.exe for 32 to 64 should be made too

Tried Windows 64 Bit beta system recently with Winchester 3500+ AMD 64.

So many items of sofware I have , that worked in SP2, did not work that I uninstalled it before even trying hardware compatibility with printers ,scanners, wifi etc.

Removed it after 1 hour !

Thanks for that feedback - maybe my XP64 CD will stay on the shelf just a bit longer! Sounds like getting Linux useable is a whole lot more fun/productive and it will probably be a quicker route to using the 64 bit capability as and when it might be required.

Reps for you :cool:

hey EP, virtual PC? Heh, I don't think you'de be taking full advantage of the OS...

wind: I want to use it to test different aspects of the os other than performance - plenty of people will be doing that !!

I wish they gave Windows 64 a new look. Kinda tired of the Windows XP look of things. I have mine changed to Longhorn and that's only a tad better. I haven't found any good visual style programs that have good styles to them. :p

Does anyone know if the Java VM that will be shipped when 64bit OS is released is going to be from Sun or MS?

ming said:
Does anyone know if the Java VM that will be shipped when 64bit OS is released is going to be from Sun or MS?
Neither, most probably.
Microsoft removed the MSJVM from XP through SP1a, and it hasn't been updated for ages. You'll probably just need to download and install the Java runtime from Sun's site.

ShepsCrook said:
.. Kinda tired of the Windows XP look of things. I have mine changed to Longhorn and that's only a tad better.

since you're allready using the longhorn theme, imagine how tired you'll be of that by the time it comes out

perris said:
since you're allready using the longhorn theme, imagine how tired you'll be of that by the time it comes out
LOL...if it looks even remotely close to all these mockups that are based off a theme from an alpha build. :p

well, by then a standard will be about 4 gigs of memory...I imagine the themes are going to get even more sophisticated then the thr33 d33 we're looking at now

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back