Windows XP constant hard drive access

D

DOSMAN

What causes Windows XP to constantly access the hard drive? The HD light flickers every second or two. Is there anyway to stop it?

You dont think its normal for an OS to access the hard drive? XP is constantly using system files its completly normal

I've never had any other Windows version to access the hard drive while the system is idle. With Win 98 the hard drives would spin down after a certain time of inactivity. With XP they never spin down even after the monitor shuts itself off the drives are still being accessed.

Could be:

1) If Indexing service isn't disabled then it is constantly creating / updating the index (turn it off unless you do a LOT of searching)

2) Might be a virus, trojan, or spyware. Do a full virus scan and run ad-aware to check.

These are the two most common. Other possibilities less likely - if it isn't one of these come back and we'll try again.

go to my computer > right-click on your harddrive > properties > uncheck "allow indexing service.."

having this checked just keeps an updated index of all the files on your harddrive so when you do a search for a file it takes only a second or two as opposed to maybe 30 seconds :rolleyes:. it would only be useful to have this if you search for files a lot instead of remembering where you put them. do this for each drive and they will thank you for it.

Indexing is not turned on. I ran ad-aware and the only thing it found was Limeware...which I uninstalled. Norton Anti-virus reports no viruses. I think it's time for a clean install of XP. I'm curious to see if it happens with a fresh install.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Okay, it's your auto insert notification. Do the following:

start / run / regedit

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom

If there is an entry of AutoRun or AutoPlay, double click and set the value to 0 (zero)

This will almost certainly solve the problem.

do you have free ram ? or is the HDD acting as virtual memory ?

Taurus, your only using 3GB?? That sure ain't much, eh?! You just do a reload or somethin'??

:D

Originally posted by Eolis
Taurus, your only using 3GB?? That sure ain't much, eh?! You just do a reload or somethin'??

:D
lol.. 3.7gb! that's my laptop's harddrive. it's the only one with ntfs which has that indexing thing. yeah, i formatted it recently... and i keep it clean cuz sometimes loads of stuff is put on it for backup purposes or if i wanna watch movies somewhere.

Originally posted by DOSMAN
What causes Windows XP to constantly access the hard drive? The HD light flickers every second or two. Is there anyway to stop it?

Have you tried defragmenting your hard drive lately m8??

xsk8zerox,

Dont know why Im saying this, an angels presence would shrivel your tainted touch into nothingness. For that is the beauty of Goodness.

Ok, on with the show,
Yeah, its normal for the OS to access the HD, very normal..

My 2 Cents

I reckon its NAV thats keeping your system busy -- its one of those programs that insist on running in the backgrond - have a look in services see if its there & set it to manual.

It is not normal for the OS to constantly poll the HD unless you have it "set" to do so. Following the directions in my post above regarding auto insert notification will stop the polling.

Allen's right, had the same problem and it was cdrom auto run. Also, check to see that your led wire from case to mobo is making a good connection.

Originally posted by Phreak This
xsk8zerox,

Dont know why Im saying this, an angels presence would shrivel your tainted touch into nothingness. For that is the beauty of Goodness.

Its actually part of a song

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back