windows update

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dee dee, Feb 8, 2005.

1. dee dee

dee dee OSNN Junior Addict

Hi
    Just went to windows update there were 7 high priority updates for my computer, (XP Home sp2)downloaded and installed
    kB888303
    KB890047
    KB885250
    KB891781
    KB867282 IEx
    KB888113
    KB873333
    After reboot i had errors, Norton email protection could not start, Wallwatcher error something already using port 162 not logging nought, nothing showing up in network adapters in task manager, just blank.
    Just done system restore all back working, just wondered if any one had any problems here too.
    Regards
    Dee

2. random

random aka PHiSHnz

cheers for the heads up, i wont rush to install these any time soon.

3. tommy

tommy OSNN Member

just installed the updates and had no problem, i have norton 2005

4. dee dee

Hi
    Just went back to windows update and installed kb867282 the IE update alone
    and after reboot samething happened errors galore, removed via add & remove programs, went back to updates and installed the rest of the updates minus the (kb86782 IE )and no problems after reboot, so for some reason the IE update dont gell with my box.
    Dee

5. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

no problems here....

6. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

Yup installed all mine about 20 mins ago, no problems here.

7. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

Installed all updates with no problems, went pretty quick. Running Zone Alarm
    and AVG 7 free edition.

vivid

8. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Installed all updates this morning. Everything's smooth sailing. :)

9. 7? i got 9... merci for the heads up :D

10. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

i got 9 too but thats cuz im a few days behind. well no problems so far :)

11. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Fully up to date on SP2 critical updates and no problems at all.

Make sure none of the updates turned on Windows Firewall without your permission. That would cause some network problems. Sounds like the download or install jsut got corrupted.

EDIT:
    Bugginess in windows antispyware application. When cleaning out the leavings of spyware it does not replace the bad stuff it deleted with the good stuff. The article says this is in the antispyware beta only but we all know M$...

Knowledge base has instructions for manual repair.

You can reach it by searching on spyware in the help option under Start. Has instructions for SP1 and SP2.

12. dee dee

Hi
    Attempted to install kb 867282 IE update for the third time with the same failures after reboot, I run blackice for outbound protection and it alerts me after reboot that userinit.exe-shlwapi.dll have changed also explorer.exe-wininet.dll has changed and i allow them to run but to get the same errors as i said in first post,

Userinit.exe

(Microsoft) USERINIT is the program which Winlogon runs immediately after a user successfully logs onto a Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003 PC. USERINIT runs logon scripts, re-establishes network connections, and then starts Explorer.exe, the Windows user interface (the START button, etc..).
    copied from: http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
    maybe somthing to do with this i dont know, any clues?
    Regards
    dee

13. adcollie

adcollie OSNN One Post Wonder

My computer didn't even start after I downloaded and installed the critical updates! Finally got it back with system restore, but now don't know what to do about updates.

14. Kush

Kush High On Life!

i did get one problem when i tried to runn a lil app, it said Entry point not found, "The Procedure [any] could not be located in the dll mfc71.dll, this app use to work before, and after i did the updates, it stopped working on both my computers