Windows Update vs. Windows Catalog

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by supercrosser, Dec 21, 2001.

1. supercrosser

supercrosser Guest

Now that I am settling in to using XP, I find it very confusing about the "Catalog" updates vs. the "Update" updates. I would have never found the catalog updates if it wasn't for my question I sent to MS about my CD/RW drive. The nice tech. support person told me my update was probably in the catalog updates under the Windows update manager and I needed to enable the catalog updates and download them. Now I see a bunch of other updates I missed and can't understand why Windows doesn't automatically show them in the list under Windows Updates????????? Anyone else had dealings with this?

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

I'm not sure what updates you're referring to at Windows Catalog. I hit my Catalog link in my start menu and it takes me to a bunch of product advertisements. I must be missing a link on that page or something. Where is this link on the catalog page? The one besides windows update?

3. supercrosser

supercrosser Guest

Under mine it is Start/All Programs/Windows Update. When the update page loads, under the left window where it says "Windows Update Catalog" with tabs for welcome, find microsoft windows updates, blah,blah,blah..." there is a tab called "see also". Under that tab is a button for "Windows Update"(a little redundant isn't it), click it and the right side will display "Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems". Click that and POOF! a whole bunch-o-updates I would have never seen(had it not been for the e-mail to MS support). If I can remember correctly, there was an option to turn this link on and off. It was included in the e-mail to me from MS. If I find it I will post it here. Mine was off by default.

4. Speed4Ever

Speed4Ever Guest

Mines right in the same place as Windows Update, on top of the Programs menu.

But I still cant find any updates, except for products to buy...

Am I missing something here...

EDIT: Hit the submit button too quickly :D

5. Speed4Ever

Speed4Ever Guest

Scratch that, I know what your talking about. But it was enabled on mine...

I got the Reatek drivers for my NIC no problem...

wonder why it wasnt on yours?