Windows Update File

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by WiredBrain, Feb 6, 2003.

1. WiredBrain

WiredBrain Guest

Can I know where Windows XP Pro store the files from Windows Update?

2. Elroy Jetson

Elroy Jetson Little Dipper School

do you mean the downloaded files? In the IE temp folder until it extracts and installes them. The go all over the place once installed, the uninstall is kept under c:\windows\$NTUninstallQ.... folders.

Hope this helps. EJ

3. WiredBrain

WiredBrain Guest

Is this means that I cannot find them because Windows will automatically install them?

4. nagidar

nagidar OSNN Junior Addict

Can these files be removed without causing any trouble?
    Thanks.

5. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

if you remove the files you wont have the updates anymore ... you can remove an update in the add/remove programs ( control panel) but that is only if you are having trouble after installing an update .. you need the updates in most cases... security ones for sure .. so answer is do not remove the update folders better just leave all that alone

6. Shamus MacNoob

these are hidden files , you need to enable view all files in the folder options .....

7. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

you can safely remove the $NtUninstallQ######### folders as long as you do not want to remove the update, this does nothing to the update itself, just the ability to uninstall them. After removing then click in the add/remove list on them and they will be removed as well.

8. Shamus MacNoob

I did not know that the update stayed ....but seeing as they are not very big over all mine total 17mb I would leave them alone ...I dont see the gain I mean if your hurting for 17mb of space go collect coke cans and beer bottles and buy a hard drive lol