Windows setup Boot Disks

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by TheDcn, Oct 22, 2002.

1. TheDcn

TheDcn Guest

For me Microsoft has a way of keeping things hidden. It took me a couple of days to find this. It saved my hard drive and brought my system back to life.
    Found it in the Microsoft Knowledge Base - Article Q310994
    It's here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994 If this didn't work for you enter Q310994 in the search field.

My story.
    I did a fubar and totally blew away my C; drive - one of three partitions- I my ignorant attempt to recover it I blew out my hard drive completly. Could not do a thing. System didn't even acknowled it's existance. A clone shop managed to get the bios to see the drive but it was out of sync.
    A system disk would work. I didn't have a thing that would allow me to rebuild or anything. All I could do was stare at the "A:" drive with a old system disk.

Along came the knowledge base artcile. I did exactlt what it said. Had to reinstall everything but what the hey, I now have a clean 30 gig HD and we are operational.

Hope this helps

The Deacon

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

KB Article is not Available

That's what I get from the link. :confused:

Did the seach thing & got 11 articles to choose from. Which one is it?

3. jumpy

jumpy Guest

4. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

the boot disc's ??

Yeah thats old news if your talking about the 6 floppies you make to load xp ?

I did that over a year ago!! its always handy to have floppies just in case your cd craps out or something............

5. TheDcn

TheDcn Guest

Ok, for some reason that URL is not taking us directly to the KB article. Soooo, Just type in 'Q310994" in the window where it says "Search the Knowlege Base. When that opens click on " Obtaining Windows XP Book Disks"

The Deacon

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

COOOEEEEEEE COBBER. Yep that extra dot will do that. :D

7. TheDcn

TheDcn Guest

OK edited that post. The "." is history.

Thanks

The Deacon