Windows Server 2003: WinHttpAutoProxySvc 12517/12503

Discussion in 'Windows Server Systems' started by madmatt, Jun 29, 2005.

1. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

After implementing WSUS and all of my 2003 servers updated to the latest version of Update I am seeing two informational events on all of my 2003 servers.

Please see screen shots.

All servers are Windows Server 2003 SP1 (Latest Patch Level). This doesn't occur on any of my XP or 2000 workstations.

Of course Microsoft Support/Knowledgebase has nothing on these events.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I just uninstalled Sophos from my workstation (as it was seriously glitched) and saw this

My guess is that the error is saying that it can't make a change to something as it has lready been done, purely an informational error - I am sure it is fine.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  3. madmatt

It happens every time WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service is sent the start control.

"Implements the Web Proxy Auto-Discovery (WPAD) protocol for Windows HTTP Services (WinHTTP). WPAD is a protocol to enable an HTTP client to automatically discover a proxy configuration. If this service is stopped or disabled, the WPAD protocol will be executed within the HTTP client's process instead of an external service process; there would be no loss of functionality as a result."

I am certain it is fine. But it appears when the servers (only 2003) updated it didn't install the correct registry information.

4. madmatt

It appears after updating my servers with the latest set of patches that the problem has corrected itself. I am going to monitor it over the next 48 hours. I'll let you know.

5. madmatt

The weird thing is that they show up broken (like my original post) when I check the Event Viewer from my computer (right click, connect to another computer). But when I look at the Event Viewer on the server itself it is the right message.

Odd if you ask me.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005