<windows root>\system32\hal.dll file is corrupt or missing

Boot file looks ok.

You may want to add /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN after fastdetect for the data execution prevention.

Do you have network support when you boot from the bart cd?

Also, what version of XP pro is your cd (Plain, SP2, SP3).

Boot file looks ok.

Do you have network support when you boot from the bart cd?

Also, what version of XP pro is your cd (Plain, SP2, SP3).

It told me it was unable to open network support or something like that when I tried o_O

Mom thinks I have SP2.

EDIT: When I try to add the /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN I can't save the boot.ini file. It tells me: Cannot create the C:\boot.ini file. Make sure that the path and filename are correct.

EDIT: When I try to add the /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN I can't save the boot.ini file. It tells me: Cannot create the C:\boot.ini file. Make sure that the path and filename are correct.

You should be able to edit when in the Bartpe environment as windows is not running.

Right the boot.ini file then select properties and see what permissions you have.

Hmm, install may be screwed permission wise which would explain why you can't expand files.

You should be able to edit when in the Bartpe environment as windows is not running.

What? xD

Right the boot.ini file then select properties and see what permissions you have.

Full control, modify, read & execute, read, write...all are checked as "Allow".

Hmm, install may be screwed permission wise which would explain why you can't expand files.

Means nothing to me but I'll take your word for it? c=

Let us move onto this.

Boot the laptop with the bartpe cd then launch the a43 file utility.

In the tree of the file utility you will see your drive (C: and the cd/dvd drive and also the bartpe directory which will be another letter and have folders i386 and programs.

In the bartpe/i386/system32 folder will be copies of the files you need as they were taken from the Windows cd when you made the bart cd.

The files will be uppercase so you need to copy them to the root of c: then rename them so they are lowercase (HAL.DLL becomes hal.dll , etc.).

Now move the files to the system32 folder of C: overwriting the ones there now and after that reboot.

If the files copy over successfully your laptop should boot into windows.

Let us move onto this.

Boot the laptop with the bartpe cd then launch the a43 file utility.

In the tree of the file utility you will see your drive (C: and the cd/dvd drive and also the bartpe directory which will be another letter and have folders i386 and programs.

In the bartpe/i386/system32 folder will be copies of the files you need as they were taken from the Windows cd when you made the bart cd.

The files will be uppercase so you need to copy them to the root of c: then rename them so they are lowercase (HAL.DLL becomes hal.dll , etc.).

Now move the files to the system32 folder of C: overwriting the ones there now and after that reboot.

If the files copy over successfully your laptop should boot into windows.

"486 object(s) selected"

>.> I'll let you know how it goes in a few days LOL

"486 object(s) selected"

>.> I'll let you know how it goes in a few days LOL

NO - copy the individual file(s) you need not the whole system32 directory.

hal.dll and whatever other file you may need or see errors about.

Have you checked the disk?

Boot from XP cd > Push R

chkdsk driveletter: /r

This may take a long time.

Yeah I have. But what I did was chkdsk /r, without the c: prompt in the middle.

Okay so I did the chkdsk and got this:

CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume.
58597528 kilobytes total disk space.
57994992 kilobytes are available.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
14649382 total allocation units on disk
14498748 allocation units available on disk.

But when I reboot, I still get the original error message.

I guess try a repair install or delete the partition during windows setup then install on a new partition. Unless someone else has another idea....

For a repair install --> instructions

I guess try a repair install or delete the partition during windows setup then install on a new partition. Unless someone else has another idea....

For a repair install --> instructions

Doesn't let me do a repair install. To get to the license agreement, I have to hit enter (like I'm going to do a full reformat). I choose f8 to agree, and then the only options I have are: Enter to set up Windows XP on the selected item, C to create a partition in the unpartitioned space, and D to delete the selected partition.

You did it correctly for a repair install.

Boot from CD then press Enter (install XP now) then F8 and finally should show this screen with the repair R option at the bottom.

Could you post a screenshot of what you see at this point?

EDIT: Is the disk you have a retail or OEM disk?

Attachments

• setupxp.JPG
    setupxp.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 21,665
You did it correctly for a repair install.

Boot from CD then press Enter (install XP now) then F8 and finally should show this screen with the repair R option at the bottom.

Could you post a screenshot of what you see at this point?

Well I can't screenshot because I have no way to put it on the net but here's a pic from my dig cam that I took.

Attachments

• 20090222_4.JPG
    20090222_4.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 7,666
Windows is missing other important files.

You can try this and see if the repair option shows up.

Boot from the XP cd and push R after windows loads files to go into recovery console.

In recovery console and with the XP cd still in the drive type these one at a time.

Assuming CD/DVD drive is D

copy D:\i386\ntldr C:\

push enter

copy D:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\

push enter

Reboot and see it laptop will boot.

If not then see if you at least now have the repair option.

EDIT: If you still do not see the repair option then you will need to delete that partition (partition1), create a partition then install windows.

Windows is missing other important files.

You can try this and see if the repair option shows up.

Boot from the XP cd and push R after windows loads files to go into recovery console.

In recovery console and with the XP cd still in the drive type these one at a time.

Assuming CD/DVD drive is D

copy D:\i386\ntldr C:\

push enter

copy D:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\

push enter

Reboot and see it laptop will boot.

If not then see if you at least now have the repair option.

EDIT: If you still do not see the repair option then you will need to delete that partition (partition1), create a partition then install windows.

No boot. Same screen with no repair option. D=

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back