Windows Registry

i'll wait to download it until you and lonman have worked the bugs out.

Alec,

I downloaded your prog from winsite.com and scanned my PC. (Don't worry, I haven't deleted anything) Anyways, it found Help Center regkeys in mine too. I tried selecting and exporting them (thinking I could send it to you to help you out), and when I click on Export Selected, I get the error message (image attached).

Anyways, if it'll help, here are some of the keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{FC7D9000-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\0\win32
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{FC7D9000-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\HELPDIR
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TypeLib\{FC7D9000-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\0\win32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TypeLib\{FC7D9000-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\HELPDIR

Hope this helps. I also got a bunch from Adaptec Easy CD Creator (which I removed from my system, so that's good), and others that I'm not sure about, and wouldn't touch even if your prog was 100% working and fool proof.

Good luck!

Right on. I'm glad to hear you got it nuked out. I never doubted that you would. Yeah, frustrating experience no doubt. Looking forward to see it in action.

Originally posted by AlecStaar
Lonman, you ready? StoneHenge, you ready also??

WHEW!

Man, are you gonna love this one... hehe, I kid you not! I found the registry patches needed via .reg files as you see above here, and also a batch that can repair a damaged "Help & Support" system... BUT MOSTLY, the best part?

My app filters BEFORE You can destroy those now... even with the "chainguard" part turned off... Yes, I have two ways you can look at the registry now, just like CleanSweep etc.

1.) Protected

&

2.) Unprotected

I also let you scan by HIVE (registry section) or all at once, & I am finishing the backup as we speak here... putting final tests on it.

I hope you have that restore point ready, StoneHenge will be doing that too as he is getting his restore/reparse point ready to test also.

Does not matter though, I am packing in the way to repair it in .reg files as well as a batch that re-registers ALL .DLL files recursively in
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 or C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM as well... no way to hose it!

Heck, & even if you do? LOL, when my app is done, it silently merges those two files back in auto-repairing HELP & SUPPORT at shutdown!

* Let me know when you're ready to test, this time? HELL, I KNOW IT'S READY... really something to see how!

APK

Can I be a beta tester too? hee hee I have restore points too

APK,

I'm ready. My restore point is done. Send it to me when you're set.

What a night! Your app is ready (according to you ;) ), my Senators just scored and lead the Carolina Hurricanes 4-1, and Lord of the Rings is out in 40 minutes! (Here at least :) :) :) :) :) )

I like it so far....it's running right now....

Is there going to be an installer? Now that would be a good thing to have.....also maybe a feature in the program that will do the restoration (double click the backup reg files) :)

Ok it's done running....just highlight everything and delete?

errrr check this out

Registry Key Pathway
Key Value
Name Disk Pathway

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Creative Tech\Drivers\AudioDevice\DevCon\00000002
C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr16.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Creative Tech\Drivers\AudioDevice\DevCon\00000002
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctwdm16.drv

Those deal with my sound

I right clicked on them to back them up and now I can't find the file. Maybe an option to choose where you want the backup file to go? ;)

APK, did some testing, and the scan works great. I love that it starts up with Safety Guard on. Though, maybe you should put a warning not to remove it unless you know (or think you know :D ) what you're doing.

Anyways, I have a few "issues" with it, all with the back up feature.

First, if I try to backup a key (to apk.reg with your backup feature), it puts it in the file n+1 times, where n=the number of keys it has found in the scan.

Second, if I click a key, press Shift and the down arrow to select two or more keys, and press on Backup, it only backs up the key I clicked n+1 times. Is it supposed to be able to backup more than you key at a time?

Finally, this is really just nit picking. I'd like to be able to select more than one key with CTRL+mouseclick. But, like I said, nit picking.

Other than that, seems to work well. I'm including a copy of you apk.reg file showing that it backed up a key 5 times, when it had found 4 keys. (It's in txt format as reg files cannot be uploaded... hmmm... wonder why... ;) )

umm is this right?

I ran it once, deleted everything it listed.....ran it again and it found stuff that it didn't list the first time......*sniffles* come on man you're almost there........

*has an idea* You ever think of making a program that will delete UNNEEDED files and such?

Nevermind about my backup problems from the last post, just saw your post about the fix... Sorry!

I have a nit pick too........my scroll wheel won't work with it..errrrrrr lol

Help Desk skillz @ work there! The most important thing I've learned doing help desk, is to always cover your @ss! Some people just can't think for themselves! Anyways, won't get started on that, or I might end up crashing the server...

As for your app, I haven't deleted anything YET (was about to start on that when you posted that you were sending a fix), but the rest looks good. I'll test with the fixed version, then delete a few keys, and see. Overall, looking good!

Excellent!!! Scanned all 5 hives, deleted EVERYTHING (131 bad entries) - Help and Support INTACT!!! Didn't need to restore anything. VERY IMPRESSED with it's performance. Once you work all the kinks out of the frills, i think this is it.

Very good job Alec.

I give it
:D :D :D :D

Will add the fifth smiley when all the bells and whistles ding and toot.

Went ahead and deleted the keys, and help and support still works, checked some of my apps, and everything seems fine! Like Lonman said, once the few kinks with the backup are fixed, this should be THE final version! Way to go!

yay! now i almost have my Registry Cleaner instead of using some junk one!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ok Alec where ya hiding? Remember I told you I ran the program twice before and had to reformat? Well I had to reformat again! Not your fault. That's what happens when beat testing :p

Anyways, I deleted the highlighted and rebooted. It said something about can't find windows\system32\config\windows I tried booting into safe mode too, but no luck...same error. SO I had to reformat. (Don't know how to work the recovery console yet :( ) So now what I am wondering is - I'm running Home Edition and I think it might be needing something that Pro doesn't?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back