News Windows Phone 7 Series announced

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by Electronic Punk, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

As expected, Microsoft have unveiled Windows Phone 7 Series at the Mobile World Congress, which Microsoft have built from the ground up to create a different kind of Phone.

The phone software will integrate Zune, Xbox Live, Office and Bing in what seems to be a nicely integrated package as well as providing everything that Windows Mobile has before such as email syncronization (although custom software and backward compatibility has not yet been mentioned! There will be more information on these at MIX next month).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Every Windows 7 phone will be a Zune and will be able to sync with the Zune software. You can also now view the Windows Phone 7 Series homepage for a nice demonstration.

:view: Windows Phone 7 Series

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. Electronic Punk

Re: Windows Phone 7 Series Press conference

Arg, the Q&A was so short :(

I want to know about upgrades for existing devices and if OS updates will stillb e reliant on ROM upgrades from vendors, hopefully we will find out before the end of MWC.

3. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Very little real meaty info that I've seen - mostly just showing off the bells/whistles of the new interface. As you mentioned EP, I don't really see any real detail on upgrades and requirements. My guess is seeing as how they want a "unified" experience with the hardware buttons, that older phones won't be upgradeable and a lot of the carrier specific branding will be ripped out as well.

I thought it was rather funny that there is no flash support either in v1 of the new windows phone.

Will be interesting to see how close they cut it to the holiday season this year.. but this is still a year or two too late in my opinion..

4. Electronic Punk

I am sure it will come later, tbh not entirely sure my current opera has it, saw mention of flash light but haven't bothered to check if it works anywhere or if I have it.

As far as Carrier stuff goes, I am sure there will be custom applications or blocks for the various carriers.

We will see more tomorrow with the HTC keynote and I guess more at mix, as well as whatever else leaks out.

5. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

and I was just about to get a droid, now I have to wait to see how this is

6. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

7. Perris Calderon

thanx zombie!

they are absolutely loving the phone

8. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Hmmm, looks good. Will see how its fared when my iphone contract runs out next year

9. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Absolutely love it.

10. adamlambert

adamlambert OSNN One Post Wonder

I have the Zune HD and i really like the UI for it, was actually thinking of getting the iPhone or some HTC android phone but now i am waiting for the Windows 7 Series Phone!

11. Electronic Punk

I am still not sure if it is a blessing that my HD2 will not officially get this version yet.

It seems very restrictive with a lower resolution being enforced as well as no applications being available outside the marketplace, no storage card support etc.

I rather like the fact that I can wipe my mobile and get it customised the way I want, I don't really want to be stuck in the position where I have to pay for any third party applications I might want to use (other than those that are retail of course) when I can find them free.

I just hope Microsoft keep their promise not to forget about 6, or I might have to follow these projects that want to put Android on the HD2 a little closer.

12. Perris Calderon

poor opera, they've worked so hard getting their mobile browswer to be the very best on 6, I wonder if there will be any issues for them porting over to 7

me thinks there must, it's an entirely new operating system

13. Perris Calderon

I think the good chefs will have a dual boot to storage card in no time

14. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I don't like Windows Mobile for some reason. Something about the feel of it...