Windows OneCare/Windows Defender Discussion

Re: Windows Defender Beta 2

thats weird, dosent use hardly any of mine...hmmm

I can't even tell it's running .. It is working great for me ..

alsoi dont see a "icon" like the target, but does ti still run in the background?

Yes, it runs in the background as a service ...

It will only appear in the system tray if there is a problem. I'm glad it runs as a service because then it is running even when a user is logged off. I deployed the beta on five Windows 2000 machines at work today to see how it works in a domain environment.

i love the antispyware..so for now ill use that and take off defender...

I still can't download it. I hope my computer dies, soon :p

did you say ****, or ****, or ****, or ****? I cant tell...

It's a mystery, either way I am not happy :(

Oh well, it is 110% my machine, I'll get over it.

No, it's OK.

As I am sure it is my PC, I can wait until Saturday when the new one comes in. Thanks though.

Sorry, I meant I am getting a new PC on Saturday.

This one has problems doing anything, even breating :p

OK, enough hijacking this thread, I'm done now :)

NR, I just got a response from a mod over at the Live Forums. Although he wasn't as detailed as I would have liked him to be he did say there have been an overwhelming response to the lack of customization. He also stated that the corporate version (not yet in beta) should include the features I am looking for.

He hinted at the possibility that the next version will include these options. I've also read (another post by him) that a registry cleaner is going to be included with the next version of WOC. I've also read that Windows Defender will be included with the next version of WOC.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Sounds good Madmatt, I look forward to the details :)

Here's the scoop. Microsoft WOC Support got back to me this morning. From the looks of things they don't really know what would happen with Diskeeper installed so they asked me to run a tune-up and report back to them.

So I loaded WOC on my test system and ran a tune-up. It went through uninterupted. Diskeeper didn't provide any events or logs for it though. But, it is important to know that when you install Diskeeper it replaces the builtin snap-in. So I imagine it ran.

I ran out of time this morning so I didn't have a chance to run an analysis of the drive to see if things were still in order according to Diskeeper.

I am changing the thread title since this took on a WOC/WD mix.

Got the first Defender definition update via Automatic Update today. Pretty cool. :)

It's neat how they offer def updates over WSUS. As a beta nonetheless.

Another new definition set was released over night. Here's my problem. I have WSUS set to automatically approve Definition Updates. You would think these updates could be installed immediately.

Windows Update Policy: "Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation"

Specifies whether Automatic Updates should automatically install certain updates that neither interrupt Windows services nor restart Windows.

If the status is set to Enabled, Automatic Updates will immediately install these updates once they are downloaded and ready to install.

If the status is set to Disabled, such updates will not be installed immediately.

Note: If the "Configure Automatic Updates" policy is disabled, this policy has no effect.

To be quite honest with you, I've never had an update that follows this policy.

NetRyder said:
Got the first Defender definition update via Automatic Update today. Pretty cool. :)

here to this morning...so far so good..

NetRyder, did you hear any info on the dissappearing Desktop search Toolbar yet?....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back