Windows Live Messenger taskbar behaviour

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
For as long as I can remember Windows Live has had a place among the icons on the system tray, at some point during the Windows 7 beta phase it got updated and this behaviour was changed so that even when minimised it took a spot on the left side of the taskbar with any other applications you might have pinned. (The first shot shows how it looks when the contact window is minimised and the second when it is on display elsewhere on my desktop).

messenger_1.png

messenger_2.png

I can see how the option of pinning applications might be popular, but it is not for me, as having messenger there against my will is not something I want as a minimalist.

I also don't like how there are pointlessly two windows shown with one just being my display picture, fortunately there is a workaround!

To change Messengers behaviour back to Windows Vista's all you need to do is tell msnmsgr.exe to run in Windows Vista compatibility mode.

• Browse to C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger (or C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger if you are a 64bit user).
  • Right click on msnmsgr.exe and select properties.
  • Go to the compatbility tab and select to run this application in compatibility mode for Windows Vista SP2. (shown below)
messenger_3.png

Windows Live may well then reconfigure as if it is reinstalling (it will also re-add start menu shortcuts if you have modified or removed them) but when Windows Live Messsenger is restarted...

messenger_4.png

there we go back in the spot I like to find it! Should Windows Live Messenger appear on your start menu and where your most frequently used applications appear it's funky jump list box will still be fully functional. The list when you right click on its title bar on the taskbar is also fully functional as well as Windows 7 'peek' function.

Last edited:
This is a nice guide on how to put Live Messenger back into the System tray instead of having it sitting in the taskbar. Much neater when it's not on the taskbar.

I like having it pinned to my taskbar but hate the double tabs for it. I guess there is no way to remove the stupid display pic one?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back