Windows is nuts!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mongo, Aug 4, 2002.

1. mongo

mongo Guest

I'm running XP Pro with an internal SpeedStream DSL modem using PPPoE, no router or home network, just modem to phone line (clean connection) to ISP through Zone Alarm, and I frequently get disconnected with 2 error messages in the task bar telling me that a network cable is unplugged. I need to wait for the icons telling me of the error to go away before I can try to connect again but when I do try, my dial-up window tells me that my username or password is incorrect. Calling my ISP tech support gives me no help, they say they have no idea what is causing the problem. Why am I getting this message when I have no network cables to become unplugged? I am using the latest drivers and have all the current XP updates. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
  2. mongo

mongo Guest

I get the same problem with Zone Alarm installed or not. Sorry, should have mentioned that before.
  3. mongo

mongo Guest

I actually just did a reformat 3 days ago hoping that would fix it. Didn't seem to make a difference at all. Thanks for the suggestions though. :)
  4. jonocainuk

jonocainuk Guest

according to another thread, people said the latest speedtouch drivers are gh3y. try using 1.4 (i think it was said) and it should sort the problem. alternatively, it might be a power problem and the errors are what your computer is telling you cuz it cant really say it was too lazy to keep feeding out power to it.

right click my computer -> properties -> hardware -> device manager -> universal serial bus controllers -> right click usb root hub -> properties -> power management -> untick "allow computer to turn off this device to save power"

that might fix it.

anyone else got ideas??
  5. mongo

mongo Guest

Had the Phone Co., who is also my ISP, come out to the house and run a check on everything again. Comes to find out that the internal modem they told me would work for some reason does not. They now tell me that internal modems seem to have a problem with their kind of service but it can all be fixed by spending $200 on the exact same modem, but as an external. Isn't it funny how things work?
  6. AdmiralJ

AdmiralJ Guest

I am a DSL Technician for Pacific Bell DSL and i do dsl installations, ALL internal DSL modems are crap, we are switching 3 - 4 daily. If you want a good modem, call your dsl company, and request a Efficient Networks 5260 or 5360 modem, either will do, theres not really a difference between the 2.