Windows installer runs on startup

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by timbradley, May 15, 2006.

1. timbradley

timbradley OSNN One Post Wonder

Hi all - this is my first post here so I think i should start by greeting you all!

I am being tormented by instances of msiexec.exe running both on startup and whenever any media (CD or DVD) is inserted.

It just runs through the installation preparation bit, and then stops, although the process hangs around in the task manager for a while.

Nothing actually tries to install, and it does not appear to have any adverse affect on the system...but I want to get rid of it!!

Any ideas would be appreciated - thanks!

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

3. timbradley

timbradley OSNN One Post Wonder

No - it doesn't appear to reference any particular program - which is what makes the source of the problem that much more difficult to identify

4. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Not meaning to talk down to you - but is your system completely all clear as regards virii and spyware? Has there been anything you recently had to resolve or any dubious installs you have removed?

It's just that it sounds to me like the sort of thing a virus or spyware might employ as a technique - and whilst you may have removed the really dangerous part possibly this got left behind "dangling" as a consequence? Not direct help for you as such, but perhaps a lead worth persuing?

5. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Make certain you have SP2 installed and Windows Installer 3.1 (release v2) installed.

6. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

I had some strange issue of it always coming up on my PC. My quick fix was to disable the service. :)

7. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Disabling the Windows Installer service isn't a good idea.

8. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

It's fine, just need to enable it from time to time.

9. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

have you installed any games from Ubisoft or StarForce? i have seen minor issues with symptoms you described. i would check in the device manager, change your view to show all hidden drivers. check to see if you have a StarForce driver install.

Here is the uninstall tool to remove the drivers that get installed.

http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55

scroll down at the bottom to DL the removal tool.