Windows Installer error

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by tjfoz, Mar 15, 2004.

1. tjfoz

tjfoz Guest

I have an error where saying "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package." My exact problem is at this link..
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316309

I did what they told me to do.. Install sp1...

I did and it didnt help..

Only specfic installations have this error.

I tried reformatting to resolve, still no luck! I need to install somethings!.. Please help..

2. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Did you format your Hard Drive and reinstall XP?

If you are now at this stage, booted to fresh install I suggest you download the sp1a package and start from there.

Once you have downloaded the sp1a I suggest a reboot.
    Once booted in, in start (open) type msconfig select services, disable all.(please note there are a couple of services windows won't allow you to disable). Reboot. Then in start (open) msconfig>services then enable cryptographic services and windows installer. Reboot, and after start up install service pack 1a. When it has installed, don't reboot. In start (open) type msconfig, goto services. enable all then reboot. Try that.

3. tjfoz

tjfoz Guest

WOW dood thnx alot I will try that and post back to see if it helped

4. tjfoz

tjfoz Guest

man.

this did not work.. could it be the cd being corrupt... if it is im screwed... any other suggestions...