Windows defender vs. Spybot S&D

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Digdis, May 1, 2006.

1. Digdis

Digdis OSNN Addict Political User

Hi,
    Asked this question in the Windows defender/OneCare thread, but thought it should have its own thread. So here it is again:
    Been using Spybot S&D for quite some time, and been generally happy with it. How would you compare it to Windows Defender? Do you recommend me to switch to WD? Maybe use both?
    D.

2. technokid88

technokid88 Part of a System Folding Team

Use them all, some of the programs dont catch certian things. With those two you listed i also use A-squared and ccleaner. Last night i got a trojan that S&D and WD didnt find. But the other two took care of the problem.

3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I don't think ccleaner is in the same class as Spybot and WD, as it only cleans files it's not a detector of spyware/malware/virii.

Windows Defender is still in beta, but I think it's a solid product. Technokid is right though, you are best to use more than one tool. I use WD which provides real-time protection, and if I have a serious infection I would use a secondary tool.

4. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

I only use Windows Defender and I've never had a problem. Then again I don't go to shady sites.

5. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

i find that windows defender can slow down the system, and also cant remove as much spyware on the systems that i see. i find spybopt great but its not real time protection

6. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

You can't compare Windows Defender to Spybot, as it's in Beta. Those who prefer it are entitled to their opinion, but it's not a level playing ground to those apps that are in RTM :)

What leads you to believe it slows down your system? Do you find some of the executables taking up excessive RAM/CPU usage?