Windows 95 screensaver on XP

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by tedmills, Oct 28, 2002.

1. tedmills

tedmills Guest

I've acquired a new PC with XP Home edition. Previously I was on 95 and had the Plus pack and would dearly love to use a screensaver from that package - I know, sad - but the Plus disk went with the old PC. I have the .scr and .dll files which I have put into WINDOWS\system 32 folder, but no good. All I get is a blank screen. Has anyone else done this successfully, please.

Ted Mills

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Looks like it might be getting a bit old for xp. There is a thread going around with some very kewl screensaver links. :)

3. yoyo

yoyo _________________

I just remembered that I have a 95Plus CD and tried to install the two screensavers I found on it. They do work. I rightclicked the file and did choose 'install' from the context menu.

4. tedmills

tedmills Guest

Thanks guys. I tried the install option but no luck. Guess I've got a corrupt copy or something.

5. mavis

mavis Guest

You wouldn't happen to have a Win98SE Plus CD would you? I'm DYING to get a screensaver I used to have, that was on that disc - Cityscape, as I recall ...

mavis

6. Ganassi

Ganassi Guest

Yo Mavis, where did u get that rad theme "mercury"?
    Thats a sweet looking desktop.

Ganassi

7. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

I have it

I have win98 plus cd right here what do you want ? cityscape?

gimmie an email addy I willzip it up for you

8. Shamus MacNoob

here

Here its super small I tested it ..no problems works fine after its installed its called walkabout in the list ...........

9. mavis

mavis Guest

you rock!!

I actually got the hookup from Nedreplan (I posted in the "Other Operating Systems" forum) but after an unfortunate incident involving my own stupidity and not reading a readme, lol, I was forced to reformat/reinstall, losing all the stuff he had sent me :) :D

Anyway I didn't want to bug him about it again, so thank you for the attachment!! I love this screensaver, don't know why exactly, it's not spectacular or anything ... hehe

Thanks again!!! :D

mavis

10. Shamus MacNoob

anytime

LOL like you I dont know why but that was my all time fav from win98 plus I always had that set as my desktop theme and I am using the screensaver now in XP .....

Your welcome anytime bud