Windows 7 - First Impressions

Nothing is working. I've set up permissions in other OSes to do this type of thing but it is not working in Windows 7...any one suggest a live disc that would allow me to delete this?

I don't really think it matters. Can you log in as "the" administrator in windows 7? And if so, what is the point? Would that not just completely rule out or disable UAC that protects againts administrative changes in the first place? Bad juju.

I enable the Admin account then delete the one created at setup.
I don't need or want any UAC prompts, file/registry virtualization

Same as enabling it in Vista ---> Enable Real Administrator

Not all people should enable this or use this account all the time like I do.

Nothing is working. I've set up permissions in other OSes to do this type of thing but it is not working in Windows 7...any one suggest a live disc that would allow me to delete this?

Can't you go into disk cleanup and delete it from the list?

ok lord, you're getting too defensive, of course your post needed clarifying otherwise I would not have clarified it, we all need clarification at times, some of us get touchy about it when it happens some don't, I know I've gotten touchy about it in the past and I see (whether you see it or not) that you are touchy about it now

you can have the last word and tell me again that the post I did not understand was understandable to everyone but me and then we can both be happy

now I am done with this conversation and it's time to move on, enjoy your last word

I'm not being defensive. I'm just failing to see how you could not understand what I meant when I said administrator. I really don't see how you could convert "administrator" to "the user that vista makes for you at the end of setup and gets you clicking run as admin". Unless you call yours administrator, but since that already exists I doubt you could...

And besides - the user that vista creates for you is in the administrators group so it gets full admin access so long as you choose run as admin anyway. So by giving administrator (the user) or administrators (the group) permissions to a file/folder you gain full access either way.

Now please clarify what you did not understand in "Administrator"...

80gb's is hardly massive, i have about 4tbs and that is only just enough, i would use up 80gbs in about 4 hours.....

That depends on how you use your HD. I use a small HD for the OS and a separate drive for storing other files. My 'Program Files' folder only contains around 4GB of application related files while Vista is using around 18-22GB currently.
For me, I don't see the need of having anything bigger than my 36GB raptor as an OS drive - but Vista is pushing it.

btw, I have tried the vsp1cln.exe and only managed to recover around 1.5-2GB of space.

That depends on how you use your HD. I use a small HD for the OS and a separate drive for storing other files. My 'Program Files' folder only contains around 4GB of application related files while Vista is using around 18-22GB currently.
For me, I don't see the need of having anything bigger than my 36GB raptor as an OS drive - but Vista is pushing it.

btw, I have tried the vsp1cln.exe and only managed to recover around 1.5-2GB of space.

Have you tried adjusting the amount of space that Vista can use for restore points?
In XP there was a slider to adjust how much space could be used but this was removed in Vista.
By default Vista can use up to 15% of your drive for restore.

Open a command prompt (run as admin) then type these commands:

To list existing volume shadow copies type the following command then press enter:

vssadmin list shadows

To display copy storage associations on the system and their size:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

You can use the vssadmin resize shadowstorage command to resize the storage area if it is to big (or small) for your needs.

Say you wanted to resize the space to 3 GB maximum:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=3GB

NOTE: If you turn system restore off then back on after resizing you will have to resize again as Vista will go back to default values.

I got it about 3 days ago, and I like it. It is a whole lot faster than Vista, but it does have some downsides. the taskbar does not show any text whatsoever. kinda annoying. Windows should have stuck with the XP style OS. But I like. One thing is the fact that it interferes with Windows XP. I have had a few Admin problems, but it ok. I'd give Microsoft a 2-star rating out of 5.

I got it about 3 days ago, and I like it. It is a whole lot faster than Vista, but it does have some downsides. the taskbar does not show any text whatsoever. kinda annoying. Windows should have stuck with the XP style OS. But I like. One thing is the fact that it interferes with Windows XP. I have had a few Admin problems, but it ok. I'd give Microsoft a 2-star rating out of 5.

If you don't like the taskbar, change it. Takes like 10 seconds (If you're slow)

How would it interfere with Windows XP?

I am dual booting 7 and XP without any problems at all.

As far as the taskbar:

right-click taskbar > properties > taskbar > taskbar buttons

Change it to never combine or combine when taskbar is full

Ok... found my first problem:

I can't activate Office 2007... I put in the key, it goes to configure Office, then crashes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Office.PNG
    Office.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 284
  • Office2.PNG
    Office2.PNG
    26.1 KB · Views: 273
I had no problem with office 2k7. It works great - I also have a corporate version from work. So that could be why.

Ok... found my first problem:

I can't activate Office 2007... I put in the key, it goes to configure Office, then crashes.

Did you try to uinstall it then, reinstall it .. it might be a bad install ..

Did you try to uinstall it then, reinstall it .. it might be a bad install ..

Might be... 30 seconds of quick research (all I had before someone needed help) shows that this most likely isn't a problem with Windows 7... I'll look into it further when I have time.

It's Office Enterprise, Volume License as well.

Stupid, @#$@#$@ thing just wanted the install disc in the drive. Worked fine once the disc was available.

wow. you guys really get into this stuff. i kinda like it now. I doesnt like my onboard VGA, though. Put it does piss me off. I can run Halo 1 on XP on the same exact PC, HDD, and everything, but I cant run it on 7. Pieceoffreakincrap.

well if you will use cheap integrated hardware you will suffer for it...

Okay, I have had freakin enough. How do I get rid of the BIOS that allows me to switch OSs? I want 2 delete 7 off my PC 4 good.

No real issues here. I'm getting used to the taskbar changes.
So far, it seems to be more efficient than Vista but we'll see what happens by the time it goes retail.

(Triple booting Vista, Windows 7, Ubuntu without any hitches)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back