window fan = monitor shaking

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
ok I know this has to do with electricity and what not but it really doesn't make any sense to me and I'm hoping somebody can explain.

When I have my window fan on which is a good foot and half to two feet from my monitor but when it's on the picture on the monitor shakes a little. Not enough to make it hard for me to read but enough to make me sick to my stomach.

Is there anything I can do or is the electricity thing just too much??

degauss the screen after turning on the fan and the shaking should stop
its because the fan isnt't sheilded and so afftects the magnetic fields a good few feet away from the motor. By degaussing you allow the screen to adjust to the new field and work without issue for a few hours.

If you have an extension monitor cable that could be the cause as well. Or if the cable is just poorly insulated from the beginning.

It's the house current. The room where ya have the fan and yer computer are prolly on the same circuit. The extra draw from the fan is givin ya dirty power. In other words yer pushin the edge of the circuit's load. How many other things are plugged in in that room?

Also if the fan is a bit old it could have too much resistence and it's drawing too much from everything else plugged into that particular circuit... Ummm, does it spin really freely or does it spin kinda labored?

If you have other wall outlets, plug it into another one further away from yer computer and monitor.

its actually what lord said, its to do with the electronic field, degaussing may help, but the only other solution is to move the fan away from the screen, a foot isn't very far now is it? :) Probably 3-4 feet at least. try move it bit by bit until the mon stops shaking.

Yeppers.. Keep the fan away from the monitor as advised. EMF from the motor of the fan is the cause of the disturbance to your picture.

I'm going to go with gonaads on this one. I think 2 feet would be enough to keep EMI out of the problem.

My daughter's have a small (2 inch fan blades) fan clamped to the shelf on their computer desk. When it is closer that two feet it will make the screen do funny things. Now if your fan is big and the motor is big (bigger than a grapefruit big), you better have at least 4 to 5 feet away.

I have a similar issue in my apartment, but its because the wiring is old and crappy. When the diswasher is running in the kitchen my monitor in the living room 10-15ft away shakes. My solution: run dishwasher when i'm not on my computer.

well I'll try all and get back...all seem like good ideas but degausing is the easiest so if that doesn't work, the fan goes until I rearrange my room...thanks again all

Yharn said:
I have a similar issue in my apartment, but its because the wiring is old and crappy. When the diswasher is running in the kitchen my monitor in the living room 10-15ft away shakes. My solution: run dishwasher when i'm not on my computer.

Man those dishes must be piling up. :eek:

Cause yer on the computer so much. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back