WinACE, WinRAR, or WinZip

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by FreedomToShare, Jul 7, 2002.

1. I just want know which program you prefer. Or if you like another program other than these three speak out.

2. Gouk

Gouk Guest

LOL!

Everyone knows WinRAR is the standard ;)

You missed out one very important zipping tool Freedom, 7-Zip (www.7-zip.org)

It has the highest compression of any zip utility when compressing files with the 7z algorithm.

Try it and add it to your poll :)

3. w0lv3rin3

w0lv3rin3 The Source Political User

Ok

Best Currently is:
    WinACE => Good For Tight Compression But Slow
    WinRAR => Fast a Compression, But Fast

Other:
    WinZIP => Just Lame
    PKZIP => Also Lame
    Others => Lame

4. I use winzip for making zip files and compressing and packaging my own stuff and winrar to usually open zip and rar files. I like winzips self-extractors (esp. size) and the speed of the 'extract to here' shell function for winrar (loads faster). I'd say winrar is the better choice, but they both have their own advantages.

5. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

try UltimateZip, it is better than all of em !

6. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

:D For compression & speed they come out roughly the same. You could have problems uncompressing files using the wrong decompressor. Especially .ace files
    WinZip for .zip files
    Winrar for .rar files
    Winace for .ace files
    ;)

7. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

UltimateZip does all of em !

8. Parting Ways

Parting Ways Guest

9. Gouk

Gouk Guest

Anyone tried 7-Zip yet?

I guarantee you that it has the best compression.

10. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

...: WinAce:... [ Final version ] :)

11. Stircrazy

Stircrazy Guest

Used winace only for longest time just winrar a lil now im usin winrar more cause im tired of winace whining for me to register with that big blue winace screen when it opens lol

12. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

Eventhough the compression isn't a drastic difference, I would use it to compress. Too bad you can't make rar files with it. :(

13. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

winrar... nuff said....

no really... I don't really know anything bout the others or winrar itself... I just use it :D

14. ECO

ECO Guest

WinRAR's compression is basically the same as WinZip's compression. As far as I know WinACE has the best compression, I've done tests. Although, I have yet to try 7z zipping using Freedom.

15. Any more compression software

Well I listed the three top program WinACE, WinRAR, and WinZip. Some have talked about 7-Zip and ZipGenius is there any more that anybody has to say about?:D

16. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

I use power archiver. It use to be free. I find it easier to use than winzip. Don't have any use (yet) for others.

17. jumpy

jumpy Guest

First post, mmmm.
    ummm :rolleyes:
    I use winace for most things, its very flexible and gives better compression than winrar. But if you want the best compression there is, try u-harc, hard to find, been a beta for as long as i can remember, takes ages to compress and decompress, runs in dos, but damn it gives good compression, if anyone has tried it they'll know what i mean.
    jumpy

shouldn't we be able to attach ace files to these posts?:D :D

18. zyfos

zyfos Resurrected

PowerArchiver all the way. Does zip, rar, ace, jar, tar, gz, bh, and a bunch of others. Check it at www.powerarchiver.com.

19. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

i've alway's used win zip, it's never let me down so i've never tried any outhers