WIN95 and WINXP PRO ICS

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Moonacres, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Moonacres

Moonacres Guest

I have two computers. 1 is using WINXP PRo SP1 with ICS enabled. The 2nd computer is a laptop with WIN95 running.

The question is how do I setup the WIN95 machine to use the ICS on the WINXP PRO system.

I have tried using the networking disk that was created on the WINXP PRO machine, but when I run it on the 95 machine it says that the OS in not a supported OS for it. I have to use WIN98 or above.

TIA
    AcesEights

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

to tell you the truth, i don't even think it's possible to use ICS with XP and 95. i think 95 was practically cut out of everything to do with windows 95

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Oh, you can, you can! No problems. Just make sure Win95 has TCP/IP installed and then set it to automatic IP. That's it. :)

4. Moonacres

Moonacres Guest

I tried setting it to automatic ip and still not working. Any other ideas?

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Does Win95 get an IP? Run winipcfg to check. It's not the PPP adapter, it's the other one.

6. jonocainuk

jonocainuk Guest

try installing the following protocols on the Win95 system:

- IPX/SPX
    - NetBEUI

Now go to the properties of IPX/SPX and tick the box saying "Enable NetBEUI over IPX/SPX"

Now, in the TCP/IP properties, make sure DNS is enabled and set the host as the system name and the domain as the workgroup name. Also add the winXP IP address as a DNS server.

Now go set the gateway IP to be the same as the WinXP IP.

OK everythin til u get back to desktop and reboot the pc.

it should work then :)

(i would use 192.168.0.2 or something for the Win95 pc with a subnet address of 255.255.255.0)

g/l