win32k.sys stop errors. helppp!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by private-mark, Dec 25, 2002.

1. private-mark

private-mark Guest

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF8413C0, 0xF2C507DB, 0x00000000)

win32k.sys - Address BF8413C0 base at BF800000, Datestamp 3b7de698

i've been getting this error randomly since i've installed a new 128mb ddr memory. my computer is running fine before that.

Any lights? Thanks!

x mark x

2. rettahc

rettahc Guest

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF8413C0, 0xF2C507DB, 0x00000000)

the second number says that it may be a bad stick of memory

for more info look here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/bccodes_59k7.asp

or here
    http://www.aumha.org/kbestop.htm

3. waddy

waddy OSNN Senior Addict

4. private-mark

private-mark Guest

thanks rettahc and waddy. i also think that it is memory related. bacause before i installed my 128mb stick, my windows is running fine for about 4 months.

waddy: i've tested it with docmem and both the quick test and the burn-in test turned out to be a "PASS". but the funny thing is when i remove that 128mb stick, my system seems to work fine - no stop errors.

by the way, this occurs when im playing gta3 and nba live 2003. and one time, when closing msn messenger.

rettahc: the KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HAND didnt appear in the BSOD. it only states the "STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF8413C0, 0xF2C507DB, 0x00000000)" and the "win32k.sys - Address BF8413C0 base at BF800000, Datestamp 3b7de698 " are all 0x0000008E KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HAND?

thanks again :cool:
    stay cool.

5. Akash

Akash OSNN Senior Addict

sounds like you have another stick in there too,
    try the new one on its own, in place of the original

see what happenes

are the sticks the same speed?

6. private-mark

private-mark Guest

yes akash, they're the same speed. i tried switching dimm slots and so far, everythings working good. i think that the problem is with my mobo.. one of the dimm slots is defective or something. can i do something about it?

hey thanks dude! :cool:

7. Akash

Akash OSNN Senior Addict

only thing is to try one more stick in the defective slot, and if it still is the same, new board :(

if its ddr, it wont be that old im guessing... might still be under warranty?

gotta hate when that happens, initially i dont think anyone will have 6pci cards, or 3-4 ddr sticks... how do u know for sure every slot, cable, chip works... before its too late (out of warranty)

ah well, c'est la vie

8. private-mark

private-mark Guest

yeah i think it is still under warranty. do they replace the board? or just repair, etc.?

hate that too man, i just wish that they'll replace the board.

thanks!
    stay cool :cool:

9. Akash

Akash OSNN Senior Addict

depends on the company

when that happens to me, i always write a strong letter with the board, basically on one hand giving them a sob story on how i need the board to finish of my finals (exams) or something

and on the other hand, requesting a board sent straight away which would eliminate the possibility of the board being sent to taiwan and getting it repaired :p

99% though, they will send a new one of the same make/model, or a similar one if they no longer stock the other one