Win32 Error

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by GMeagle86, Jan 15, 2004.

1. GMeagle86

GMeagle86 OSNN Addict

I am receiving this error and it is getting irratiting:

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
    Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for teh inconvenience.

The error signature reads:
    szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.2055
    szModName : wiaservc.dll szModVer : 5.1.2600.2055 offset : 00017f81

I did a quick search and it said it could be a virus. I used Norton's and updated it and scanned everything. It was clean...

Any Ideas? Thanks!

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

3. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Does it happen randomly or when you run specific programs?

Does eventviewer give any hints? I'd also check the file Windows\wiadebug.log.

Does Windows Image Acquisition service ring a bell? Any problems lately with your scanner, camera,...?

4. GMeagle86

GMeagle86 OSNN Addict

NetRyder: I ran those 2 tests and they came up with nothing.

Yoyo:
    1. As far as I can tell, it happens randomly
    2. EventViewer does not ring a bell. I checked the log file and it is basically empty
    3. I currently do not have any scanner or camera attached to this computer

5. TKC

TKC Jham Down

The same thing started happenning to me, no log and it happens randomly. Cant seem to pinpoint the problem.

6. GMeagle86

GMeagle86 OSNN Addict

I am not sure what I did to fix it, but I think it just worked itself out....It was strange and irritating at times though.

7. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Ok this seems to be the closest thread to a problem I'm trying to solve. Mods if this should be its own thread please do so and I'm sorry for the extra work.

Ok well when I boot into windows Xp with sp1 first it takes a good 5 minutes to load the logon and I only have about 30 or processes running most of which you need. Well once I get the to the desktop its so slow that I can actually broswe the system faster through the task manager then windows itself, so in task manager I notice that svchost.exe under process is using 50%+ pf the cpu and explorer.exe is using 50MB+ ram so the only way I can use it is by killing a 4 svchost.exe processes and explorer.exe and reruning explorer. I've cleaned something like 10 trojans and virii from it and I still have this porblem.

I'm open to suggestions but hoping not to have to format it to fix it

8. TKC

TKC Jham Down

I had a virus, it completely took over my system, thats the reason I was getting the error, I had to do a comple format on all my hard drives.
    BTW, it was a win32 virus, cant remember the name though.

9. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Well after talking to person whos system it is and a little thinking on my own I think I've got a virus or trojan in the master boot record, which I know how to fix other then fact its currently on a different drive then the XP install I can use

10. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

looks like it's disk errors in my case!

I am hitting same problem as original post on my laptop now - it is well annoying.

System restores back some way have not resolved and I am wondering about using my Retrospect backup from the external Hard Drive - but worried that could not clear it.....

In my case I feel almost certain this is somehow linked to the AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) but unfortunately I need that as it is the way myself and colleagues exchange messages.

I guess I'll go for the volume restor - if that fails I'll uninstall and reinstall AIM.

And if that fails I'll be really ticked off because it'll be back to a reformat....

[EDIT] :eek: looked at system error log and it is covered with bad blocks on my hard drive!!! now this laptop is less than a month old, but I guess anything can happen.... Guess I will discover now if a recover from external hard drive can fix bad blocks..... weird that my scan disc found nothing - will retry that too.... [/EDIT]