win xp installation with sata drive

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by logisticprism, Aug 30, 2004.

1. logisticprism

logisticprism Time Dr. Freeman?

i was wondering if i need a floppy drive for the sata drivers to install windows. i know all the instructions involve using a floppy drive, but let's say i don't have one and i still need to install windows on a sata hdd, is there any other way? i was thinking i could install it on an ide hdd and then clone that hdd to the sata hdd, but i was wondering if there was an easier way. any thoughts or suggestions?

2. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Why not juse use nLite and make a custom windows build that has your sata drivers built in?

3. logisticprism

wow...thanks, i'm looking into it now. i had never heard of nlite before so that really helped, i'll try it out and post again in a few.

4. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

I was actually just thinking about making a Windows XP Pro SP2 version with SATA drivers on it earlier today but had to get some work done so I didn't.

The program is very easy to use.

5. logisticprism

ok everything's set up, and i'm burning the ISO now, hope this works okay.

6. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

I hope it works too, because I'll be using that for my SATA drive setup as I hate using Floppies. :p

7. logisticprism

hmm...i loaded the correct drivers into the installation cd, but still it doesn't recognize my sata drives so i can't install windows to them. do i still need to press f6?

8. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

I'm not possitive about that. You might need too but I think that F6 only checks the A: drive. I know there's a way to edit the windows installation for this to work right but it was very in depth. And I got a little side tracked which made me confused. :p