win xp 64-bit question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by one.123, Jul 30, 2004.

1. one.123

one.123 -0-;;

if i get a amd 64, would it be a good idea to just install win xp 64 or is it not worth it?

2. Tabletop Expert

Tabletop Expert I want it to snow!

3. one.123

one.123 -0-;;

ahh ic, so your opinion would that it would good or no?

4. Tabletop Expert

Tabletop Expert I want it to snow!

Yes, there will be some performance improvements

Get it as you have a 64 bit processor

5. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Yeah, there was an nvidia demo released the other day, between the 32 and 64 bit versions of this demo there was a 25% increase, having said that I don't know what version they were using.

The current public beta is just that... it has alot of debug code and bugs, so it pretty much runs at just the same speed.

It will be a transition when it comes (judging by the beta), I just don't agree with 2 program files directories (especially as the 64 bit stuff now goes in program files), but hopefully that will be resolved.

Not sure how we will get our hands on it tho, as it won't go retail, hoping the trade up orogram comes into affect, or there are a reasonable number of OEM copies for sale.

Either that or I will take the Select copy that will arrive at work or even the MSDN copy :)

6. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

you can definitely try out winxp-64... just make sure you dual-boot and run it that way so as not to bugger anything up beyond repair...

7. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

u well notice a difference with usin the amd 64 using the regular 32bit xp but not like u would on 64bit xp.

My dads girl friend is usin a amd 64bit i think it is 3000+ and she has both xp 64bit and 32bit and i can tell a difference with the 32bit but that might be just cause she had a 2400+ before that 64bit.