Win 98SE

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Capricorn, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Capricorn

Capricorn OSNN Senior Addict

A friend has asked me to format and reinstal his copy of Win 98SE. I am sure that the list of updates to Win98SE must be nearly as big as the installation disc by now. Is there any slipstream options, similar to those of XP and Service Pack 1?

2. syn

syn long live xp0!

its really not that bad, win98se was fairly stable so there won't be a list too long, longest part will probably be just the language packs

3. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

Windows 98 fairly stable ?? [​IMG] Isnt that an oxymoron ??

4. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

windows 98se was fairly stable which was why ME was the gaming OS super fast and crashed 10 times a day. :eek: memory leaks up the butt.

5. koko

koko Got Root?

i always found 98se to be extremely compatible, but not very stable. i remember having to reboot all the time.

guess that's one reason i switched to xp. ;)

6. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

i found 98 to be the operating system that crashed 10 times a day, and ME to be the solid, stable one. When I upgraded my PC to have 384Mb ram from 256Mb, I found the memory leaks werent so bad and I was usually running on about 45% usage until I did something that needed more memory (like photoshop or a game).

There will be a fair few updates for Windows 98. Look around the MS site for a systems administrators section (similar to XP's corporate windowsupdate site) where you can download the updates to your computer for installation on another machine or at a later date. I remember there being one for Windows 95, so I'm pretty sure there should be one for Windows 98

7. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

8. Capricorn

Capricorn OSNN Senior Addict

Thanks Kermit, that link seems to be ideal.

9. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

NP your welcome ;)