Win 7 Home Premium Family Pack from XP Upgrade

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
Went to buy the Family 3 pack of Home Premium to upgrade my older PCs. The "expert" at Best Buy told me you cannot use the WIn 7 Upgrade Disk to go from XP to Win 7.

Personally I think this is bull droppings but now I'm uncertain and want confirmation.

Has anyone actually done a clean install using a Win 7 Upgrade DIsk to go from XP to Win 7?

Yes, I know there is not a simple upgrade option from XP to Win 7 like there is from Vista to Win 7 but it should still work as long as you are replacing a valid copy of XP.

Thanks.

You can "upgrrade" XP to 7 Home Premium but it is basically a clean install of Windows 7 (you have to reinstall ALL of your apps). I upgraded 2 machines early last year. Microsoft has a utility that you can download to XP and run (it is documented on a card inside the Windows 7 package). It basically backs up your XP data (not the entire system). After Windows 7 is installed, you run the same utility (from Start | All Programs) and restore your data files (it puts My Documents into the appropriate Library, same for My Picture, etc.).

Then you boot from the Windows 7 Upgrade disk (if you try to launch the Windows 7 Upgrade from XP, it tells you that you have to boot from the DVD) and upgrade your system.

Windows 7 will put everything from your C: (XP) into a folder called Windows.old and is thus a clean install of Windows 7. Now run the utility (mentioned above) to restore your data files and start installing your drivers and applications.

Note that if your C: is a hardware RAID, you do not need to install the RAID driver from a floppy like you did in XP. Windows 7 automatically detected that my C: was a RAID 0 (striped) and installed with no problems.

Good luck!

He isn't talking about a clean install. He is talking about leaving xp in and upgrading to 7. That can't be done.

No, I was asking if there are licensing restrictions on the "Family Pack Win 7 Home Premium Upgrade" disks. I know you can't "upgrade" from XP to 7.

The guy at Best Buy was telling me you can't do a clean install using the "Upgrade" retail package disks. I do not beleive that was correct.

I was hoping to find someone who had used the Family Pack from an XP install.

No, I was asking if there are licensing restrictions on the "Family Pack Win 7 Home Premium Upgrade" disks. I know you can't "upgrade" from XP to 7.

The guy at Best Buy was telling me you can't do a clean install using the "Upgrade" retail package disks. I do not beleive that was correct.

I was hoping to find someone who had used the Family Pack from an XP install.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. You can do that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back