Will these devices work together?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Eiji, Feb 15, 2006.

  1. Eiji

    Eiji OSNN Addict

    I purchased a Netgear WGR614v4 router (WGR614NAR) and a Netgear WGE101 (WGE101NAR) wireless bridge from eBay for a cheap price as they are American and refurbished but supplied with UK plugs. They have been working fine for the past few months.

    I now want to purchase a Netgear FS605 Ethernet Switcher (FS605UK) but its a used UK model.

    Would it work with the American versions of the router and bridge?

  2. Kush

    Kush High On Life!

    Montreal, Quebec
    i would think so, the only reason they say american or uk i think is because of the voltages, (america=110volts uk=220) if im wrong someone correct me, reason they do this, is so u dont stick the "american version" into a 220v socket and fry it then try to get an rma.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  3. Grandmaster

    Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

    Santa Clara, CA
    Yeah that should be the only real difference...
  4. Son Goku

    Son Goku No lover of dogma

    BTW, I don't know if they sell them in the UK, however some of the hardware stores here, have had a device for people traveling over seas which would allow them to use their American appliances in the UK and the like. Basically, it's a transformer that will take the 220 v offered there, and convert it to the appropriate voltage for the US version of a given appliance...

    That might help (if you can find one), should you get stuck with the wrong version...

    As to whether they are the same, I would's expect them to be different, with the switch (as I looked up the model number) using 10/100 fast Ethernet... I've heard of some WAN technologies differing, for instance the T1 used in the US != to the E1 used in Europe, either in terms of the number of bearer channels, or how it's layed out (aka where the delta channel is located); but ethernet is ethernet as far as I know...