Why does Debian hate USB?

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by BouncingSoul, Dec 31, 2005.

1. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

Or is it just linux in general that does. I'm new at linux and I'm trying to be open minded about it but .... I just got a new Logitech G15 gamers keyboard. It is teh awesome. It is also USB so when I get to the GRUB loader I can't select anything but Debian cause USB isn't enabled yet! I'd love to hear there is a setting I can change that would allow me to NOT have two keyboards plugged in at all times. Please tell me that's the case.

2. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Tell your computers BIOS to enable USB legacy keyboard support. Nothing to do with Linux.

BouncingSoul likes this.
  3. BouncingSoul

Sweet.

Okay, so that proves I'm a moron. And I'm kind of ashamed too since I get paid to do this stuff and never even thought it was the bios. Many thanks kind sir!

4. BouncingSoul

Maybe its not working. All I tried to do was boot to GRUB and see if I could use my USB keyboard and that part does work. However if it goes into either Debian or Recovery mode it fails before the logon. It will get to a point where it says "usb.c new usb bus registered, assigning port 5" but than never go past that point. I've googled a bit but since I know little about linux the results I've found don't help me. I'm going to try moving my devices to different ports and see if that works.

**EDIT**

Didn't work, Any ideas?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2005