Who Wants To Delete Some Fonts?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by NotBold_Fortune, Oct 11, 2002.

1. I put a lot of hard work and effort into this. Not to mention a few re-installs with my trials and errors. But for those of you who really want to rid yourself of unnecessary fonts, here you go.

What I did with my fonts was delete all the "Bold", "Italic" and
    "Bold and Italic"...and all the WST_Language fonts. But be sure there is an original of that style; i.e., don't delete Arial Italic if there isn't an Arial font there.

Then I ran a search and deleted all the hidden .fon extentions (you can't see these in your Fonts folder, only with Search Assistant)...but it's very important that you keep these ones listed below...especially the vga fonts because your system won't restart without them:

cga40woa.fon
    cga80woa.fon
    coure.fon
    dosapp.fon
    ega40woa.fon
    ega80woa.fon
    modern.fon
    roman.fon
    script.fon
    serife.fon
    smalle.fon
    sserife.fon
    symbole.fon
    vgafix.fon
    vgaoem.fon
    vgasys.fon

That should eliminate about a bazillion or so fonts for you.

2. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

ok, before I try this bold, and I'm not joking, so don't think I'm being facetous;

have you noticed a performance benefit from deleting fonts?...O've heard that it's true, so let me know, if so, I'll try this...thamnx

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Hrm, it's not like fonts take up that much space.
    Why would you want rid of them ?

4. Wow! Have I ever!! (kidding).

dealer, first off, you have to understanding the thinking behind a guy like me who deletes files...and then explain it to my wife.

It's something to do is all. Performance improvement has nothing to do with it.

5. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

6. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

well supposedly on bootup, windows loads/scans through the fonts folder so the less fonts you have the faster the boot time...or so I've heard/read somewhere

7. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Installing more fonts definately slows a computer down i installed over 2000 Fonts and the performance of the box was pathetic, after simply un-installing them performance was normal again.

8. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

<<<<< used to do this a long time ago

when 32meg of ram was considered excessive

now it seems pointless with todays hardware

maybe a couple of seconds in boot time is the best you can expect with this tweak

;)