who is cleaver with 56K modems

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by xenon1, Mar 9, 2002.

1. xenon1

xenon1 Guest

what at command can I place in to stop the modem from excepting a lower speed.

it is a pci v90 56 flex it connects anywere between 4 and 5 mostly lower 4 .

2. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

It depends on the brand of modem, they all have their own initialization strings...

But I wouldn't recommend doing it, because then it will either A. just not let you connect, or B. Take forever to connect

And even if it connects at a higher speed when it at first couldn't all it is going to do is emit a "retrain" signal which will set it down to the lower speed while you are connected. , and there is a string to stop retrains but what happens then is you just get booted off line =/

3. xenon1

xenon1 Guest

thanks guys

??? is there any thing I can do to make it down load faster ?

if not what is the best knid of 56K modem to get

4. skip113

skip113 Guest

If your ISP supports it you could get a V92 modem as this is the fastest you can get on a dail up connection. But if your ISP does not support it it will be a waste of time and money, so find that out first.

5. silent_bob

silent_bob Guest

Im guessin dat ur modem is Hayes compatibi`le (most modern modems r). U can d/l da Hayes command set n edit da driver file so dat u dont accept slow connections.

But u may not get a net connection if ur ISP is avin a slow day!

enjoy!!

6. phishhead

phishhead OSNN Senior Addict

4-6kbs downloading is pretty normal for dial up I've got it to around 8-9 using ftp but pretty much screwed with the the dial up speed...it's like putting a square in a circle not gonna happen.:D

7. DoubleClick

DoubleClick Guest

If you want to control at what speed your modem connects try a program called Net Pal. It's does that and much more..... great program for those with dialup. They have a beta version that supports Windows 2000 and XP, you can find it here:
    http://www.kburra.com/

It has an option to only connect at a certain speed. I used to set it at 46000 and it would only connect at that speed or higher. Hope this helps :)

8. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

Is this English ;)

9. Automann

Automann Guest

NetPal

I started using NetPal over 3 years ago and have found it to be an excellent dial up program . It features a user frendly interface with absolutley no bad habits and it plays well with all other programs. I started with the free program and soon upgraded.
    Without NetPal I would connect at any speed between 33,000 to 52,000, so I set it to only accept connections over 49,000 then when I came home from work I would switch on and let it redial till it got a good connection while I made a cold drink.
    I would still de using it today but I moved up to ADSL.
    HIGHLY RECOMENDED