Which Processor to Upgrade to?

wingman411

OSNN Senior Addict
I currently have a 1600+ and 1GB of Simple Tech PC2700 Ram. My other specs are listed below.
I am not experienced with overclocking so keep that in mind. I am going to use my 1600 + in another machine.

80173-R
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.08GHz 333FSB Processor Retail ***(Free 2nd Day)***
w/Fan and Heatsink, 3 Years Manufacturer Warranty $99.50

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
80171-R
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0GHz Processor Retail ***(Free 2nd Day)***
w/Fan and Heatsink, 3 Years Manufacturer Warranty $84.00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

80170-R
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83GHz 333FSB Processor Retail ***(Free 2nd Day)***
w/Fan and Heatsink, 3 Years Manufacturer Warranty
$89.00

thread moved from applications to other hardware...

-edit-

btw get the 2500+... it oc's nicely.. often times to 3000+ levels out of the box with stock cooling (might need to adjust the voltage a little)

:)

Originally posted by wingman411
to do that is there a tutorial or video i can use to o/c the 2500?

not sure.. but if you ever need any help we can certainly help you out..

the overclocking is basically in the bios.. and IF you buy a new motherboard.. the bios information will be right there for you to work with... explaining what section allows you to do what...

the cpu frequency section of the bios is where you can play around with the multipliers and/or the front side bus setting... to achieve higher clocks...

depending on the OC... you may well have to change your voltage as well... :)

its no prob though... we can help you through it step by step if you really wish to oc :)

I always wanted to know how to change the voltage:confused:
ready for voltage training 101 :D

Check
www.tomshardware.com and overclockersclub
search for overclocking + athlon

They have a lot of good info on the older athlon processors. Not that much on the newer ones.

One question. I did not see your motherboard mentioned. Make sure it supports the 333 FSB speed of the new chips or you willl lose a lot of capability. Some of the older MB that support 333 RAM do not support 333 FSB speeds, like mine :( .

As for the how to in overclocking the three most important things are :

Choice of processor - not all can be easily overclocked.
Choice of motherboard - they all support some, but not all feature
Choice of heatsink/case cooling - keeping the cpu cool is critical

best option is: Barton 2500 + ASUS nforce 2 + TBD w/2 case fans

(TBD - I avoid the great heatsink/fan debate it chanegs weekly.)

Come on back when you start having specific questions on the overclocking.

wingman, what type of board do you have? does it even support the 333fsb of the barton? you might be stuck to choosing a 266fsb processor like the 2400+.

I have a MSI KT3 Ultra2 (Via KT333) Chipset Board. ver 1.x motherboard

MS 6380

post edited due to double post... - sazar

Go for an XP1700 JIUHB DLT3C, alot cheaper and they overclock higher. With good aircooling you can hit 2.4 gig. Got mine running at 2.5 gig with water cooling and its 100% stable.

Originally posted by wingman411
I have a MSI KT3 Ultra2 (Via KT333) Chipset Board. ver 1.x motherboard

MS 6380
yeah, you're stuck to 266fsb processors. the fastest you could get would be a 2600+, but make sure it's the 266fsb version and not the 333fsb. a 2400+ would maybe be a smarter buy. or if you want to do some careful hunting, get the 1700+ that mr. dead mentions with that exact stepping code on it... assuming your board supports those high multipliers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back