Which OS is better for me?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Heeter, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi Guys,

My boss has given me access to the Windows 2000 Server CD. Now is my chance to setup a real dedicated network in my home. I do have three 'puters and a Linksys router. I would like each 'puter to have a specific task. I will not bring it home until I am sure that I will use it.

1st 'puter: FTPServer, network FileServer, internet connection through router

2nd 'puter: WebServer, other minor tasks, internet connection through router

3rd 'puter: Gaming, surfing, my personal files, internet connection through router

Should I use the Server CD on each 'puter? or should I stick with the XPPro and XPHome that the 'puters came with?

Thanks in advance..........

Heeter

2. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

FTP and Network shares - FreeBSD with Pure-ftpd and Samba
    Web - FreeBSD with apache (php/mysql if needed)
    Gaming, surfing, so on, stick with what you have

BTW I never recommend Windows for a server OS. Plus FreeBSD is free. V5.0 or 5.1 should be able to support most if not all of your hardware.

3. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

hehe, I will admit that I am a FreeBSD nutcase so I would choose it over windows for most server applications, I am trying to use it as a desktop system as well, but the hard drive I installed it on died :(

4. Heeter

Can FreeBSD be for me? Do I boot to it, just like windows, or does it use windows? Sorry, never heard of FreeBSD. Can I install a webserver on it? Can Windows fileshare/network with FreeBSD?
    Thank Geffy, Enyo, Now you guys got me really confused!!!

Heeter

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

BSD is similar to Linux, so you could also try using Linux if you wish. I believe Linux distributions like RedHat and Mandrake are easier than BSD.

6. Heeter

Enyo,

I gotta say, you always answer my questions. Always. When you coming over to show me how FreeBSD works? Do you answer the bigger questions of life? LOL

Thanks, Enyo. I am going to check it out.

Heeter

7. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Drunk!!!!!! :p